- Having your Windows 10 Firewall block your PCs File Sharing capabilities can get very annoying.
- To resolve this issue, you should start by making sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled.
- Don't hesitate to explore our thorough Troubleshooting Hub for more easy-to-follow guides on this topic.
- Our detailed Windows 10 section can offer you quick access to some other useful guides, so make sure to explore it further.
File Sharing is an essential feature for users who have multiple PCs in a Homegroup (Workgroup). Once it’s configured, the file exchange should work seamlessly.
After enabling File Sharing, your Windows Defender Firewall should allow the feature to communicate freely.
However, some users reported issues with Windows 10 Firewall blocking File Sharing.
We have a few solutions to suggest below, so make sure to check them out.
How can I unblock File Sharing on Windows 10?
1. Enable File and Printer Sharing
- In the Windows Search bar, type Sharing and open Manage advanced sharing settings.
- Under the Network discovery, toggle the Turn on network discovery on.
- Under the File and printer sharing, toggle the Turn on file and printer sharing on.
- Save changes and reboot your PC.
2. Allow File and Printer Sharing to communicate through Firewall
- In the Windows Search bar, type Firewall and open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Open the Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Change settings.
- Navigate to File and Printer Sharing and File and Printer Sharing over SMBDirect.
- Make sure to check both Private and Public boxes next to these entries.
- Save changes and try sharing files on the local network again.
We hope that this guide has managed to solve your problem once and for all.
If you want to share your experience with us or have any suggestions, feel free to contact us by using the comment section found below this article.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2019 and has been revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.