- The api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing error is closely connected with Microsoft Office applications.
- If the api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer, you can replace it or use specialized software to fix the issue.
- Another api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll fix is to uninstall your Office product and reinstall it.
- You can uninstall Microsoft office manually, but in our guide, you will also find an automatic solution.
Attempting to open any Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and such might often lead to the generation of an error that shows the message – api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll missing.
That is rather curt and the least user friendly, more so for the non-tech types. However, it still can be dealt with effectively and easily with just a little bit of patience and a few changes here and there.
As should be evident from error messages themselves, the issue has to do with a faulty installation.
So, going for an uninstall of your Office suite followed by re-installing the same can be the easiest way to be remedied from the problem.
However, before you get into that, attempting a repair of the current installation is also recommended. Here is how you can do that.
How can I fix the Api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll missing error?
- Use dedicated software to fix the DLL
- Repair your MS Office installation
- Uninstall it from the Control Panel
- Uninstall MS Office manually
- Remove MS Office using a dedicated tool
- Re-install MS Office
1. Use dedicated software to fix the DLL error
DLL problems are common but it’s not so simple to solve. We recommend that you don’t download the file from a random website as it may hide a malware infection.
Fixing the Api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll error manually can be extremely tedious but using third-party software can fix the issue quickly and automatically.
Restoro is a reliable third-party DLL fixer which uses a built-in automated system and an online library full of functional DLLs to replace and repair any files that might be corrupted or damaged on your PC.
All you need to do to resolve your PC’s problems is to launch it, and simply follow the on-screen instructions to start the process, as everything else is covered by the software’s automated processes.
This is how you can fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
After this process is completed your PC will be as good as new, and you will no longer have to deal with BSoD errors, slow response times, or other similar issues.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Repair your MS Office installation
- Right-click on the Start button at the lower-left corner of the desktop.
- From the pop-up menu that appears, select Apps and Features.
- From the list of applications currently installed on your computer, select the MS Office product you are having issues with.
- Click on Modify.
- Now, your MS Office could be either MSI based or a click-to-run install.
- For click-to-run, after selecting Online Repair, click on Repair (This way the corrupted files will be identified and replaced automatically).
- For MSI-based, click on Repair under Change your installation and then click Continue for the process to begin.
- Follow the on-screen instructions thereafter to complete the repair process.
Somehow, the Office suite can suffer from a corrupted installation. However, you can modify and repair the installation as shown in the steps above.
3. Uninstall it from the Control Panel
- Type Control Panel in the taskbar search box. From the list of options that you get, select Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Choose the Microsoft Office product that you are having issues with.
- Right-click on it and click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the un-installation process.
However, while this makes for the most user friendly method of uninstaling MS Office from your PC, what has to be kept in mind is that this does not delete (all) the files and registry entries pertaining to Office.
Instead, configuration information in files such as Word Normal.DOTM remains intact.
This allows for future installations to use the same configuration details and hence ensures you do not lose on any of your existing work.
4. Remove MS Office using a dedicated tool
Microsoft also provides for a relatively easier way to uninstall Office on your PC.
For this, all you need to do is download the Easy Fix tool that does the job for you. You can download the tool from the Office support page.
A dedicated third-party uninstaller would be ideal for this job. A dedicated uninstaller will remove the program and also scan your system afterward for tracking down any leftover files or records.
One of the best uninstaller software is available for free, so you can download IObit Uninstaller Pro by clicking the link below.
IObit Uninstaller Pro
Uninstall any program completely with this excellent tool that will wipe out any remains from your PC.
5. Uninstall MS Office manually
Before you get into this, it is extremely important to understand the process is complex, lengthy, and could be taxing on both your mind and body.
Further, a few wrong steps can require you to go for a complete re-installation of the entire operating system as well.
So make sure you have a clear understanding of what you are up to and plan your steps with caution. At the same time, it isn’t rocket science either, which means it shouldn’t be too tall an ask to pull off the entire thing.
Refer to the Microsoft help page for all the info you need to manually uninstall MS Office from your PC.
6. Re-install MS Office
After you have successfully completed the un-installation process, here is how you can do a re-install of MS Office. You can do it from the Microsoft support page.
The page carried detailed info such as Quick Install of the Office files or a more elaborate step-by-step instruction for both PC and Mac computers.
After you are done with the re-installation process, the ‘api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll missing’ error message should be gone for good.
Frequently Asked Questions
This DLL file usually comes installed with Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package that is used by other programs. If you have a DLL problem, this guide will help you fix any DLL errors.
The quickest way is to use a third-party repair tool. Check our complete guide on how to fix the API MS Win CRT heap l1 1 0 DLL error.
Probably the file was deleted or corrupted. What you can do is repair or reinstall the software that can’t start. Also, make sure you have your Windows Updates turned on.