- The d3dx9_42.dll message error can have multiple causes, the most common being a corrupted file.
- Sometimes a certain third party software might be behind this issue and in our article you'll see how you can easily fix it.
- You can always rely on a high-quality tool like Restoro to do the work for you.
- Trust our guide to fix the the d3dx9_42.dll error Windows 10 just like a true professional.
More than a few users run into this or similar problems, especially avid gamers.
Even though it looks scary, there’s nothing to worry about.
This is one of many DirectX errors that are quite common for all iterations of the Windows platform, including Windows 10.
So, in case you run into it, make sure to check the solutions below.
How can I fix DirectX error D3dx9_42.dll is missing?
1. Use a professional .dll fixer
A dedicated tool is repairing your PC by removing malware and recovering corrupted files. It is also the best tool for fixing d3dx9_42.dll not found errors.
A reason why a professional tool is crucial for you PC is because it has the ability to detect harmful programs in real time which means that it offers non-stop protection against any type of cyber threat.
By installing dedicated software you benefit from advanced anti-virus functions like immediate removal and repairing damaged files. You can also use it to optimize the registry an most importantly to stop your PC from crashing or freezing.
Some other perks is that it can help you repair those annoying error messages messages and also recover and replace dll files.
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
2. Reinstall the problematic program or game
- In the Windows Search bar, type control and open Control Panel.
- Choose Uninstall a program.
- Right-click the troubling program or game and uninstall it. Before that, you might want to backup your saves.
- Now, navigate to the installation and AppData folders, and clear all remaining files.
- Start the setup and install the program again and look for changes.
Sometimes, the problem with the d3dx9_42.dll files in Windows 10 may lie in the game or application you’re running, rather than in DirectX.
Such complex programs can easily get corrupted or can suffer from repetitive incomplete files.
On top of that, if we assume that other games or applications are working, it’s simple to conclude what’s the culprit.
In addition, before we move to a complete reinstallation segment, it’s worth mentioning that certain game desktop clients, like Steam or Origin, offer the integrity checking tool.
With this tool, you can check for the integrity of the installation files and fix the possible corruption.
On the other hand, if that’s taking you nowhere, the reinstallation should be your next step. Follow the instructions below to reinstall the affected program or game.
3. Check GPU drivers
Finally, if both of the aforementioned solutions were futile regarding the d3dx9_42.dll is missing error, then all our suspicion gets redirected to drivers.
The outdated or unsuitable GPU drivers can also provoke this or similar errors.
They are directly related to DirectX and the functionality of all related applications heavily depend on the GPU properly doing its job.
For more information on how to update your graphics drivers, check out this guide.
Most of the time, the generic GPU drivers provided via Windows Update won’t suffice. So, in order to get the proper drivers, you’ll need to look at the OEM’s official site.
In the end, after you install the proper drivers, restart your PC , and run the program again.
We hope that this was a helpful read and that, with the included steps, you’ll be able to overcome the D3dx9_42.dll message error.
In case you have questions, suggestions , or remarks, make sure to post them in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
This error message means that the problem might be generate by damaged files in your PC. Take a look at how you can easily fix this issue in our guide on how to fix D3dx9_42.dll is missing on Windows 10.
Sometimes registry problems may cause this annoying issue. In order to solve it easily check out our article on how to fix Dbghelp.dll fatal error in Windows 10.
One great solution t solve this issue is to use an advanced tool like Restoro. See in our guide on how to fix a corrupt bootres.dll file in Windows 10.