- If you played Dota 2 and your FPS happened to drop, then one cause could be that your drivers are out of date.
- Try using the dedicated tool we recommend in our guide, to scan your system and provide the necessary updates.
- A problematic factor is the Steam app, and one solution is to change certain video settings.
- If the FPS happens to drop on Dota 2, then another fix is to verify the cache integrity.
Dota 2 is a highly addictive game, but sometimes the gaming experience is affected by various issues.
In this article, we’re going to focus on FPS(frames per second or frame rate ) issues and list a series of quick workarounds that you can use to fix them and improve Dota 2’s performance.
The following solutions are suitable for micro stutters, low FPS issues, and graphical glitches, that appear especially when you play a game on your PC.
How do I fix Dota 2 FPS issues?
1. Check your drivers for updates
1.1. Perform a manual update
- Access the taskbar, insert the text device manager, select Device Manager. Click on the device you want to update.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Click Update Driver.
- If Windows doesn’t find the updates, then you need to go to the manufacturer’s official site and download the new files from there.
Performing a manual update of your Windows 10 system is an efficient solution to get your device running smoothly again and also repair certain errors like the one you encounter in Dota.
1.2. Use an advanced tool
A great solution for the Dota FPS problem is a professional tool that is able to scan your PC for out-of-date drivers and provide you with a detailed report on every issue found.
Big-time gaming can be done without crashes, lags or freezes by keeping all drivers up to date and error-free. Manual checks are hard to perform, that’s why we recommend using an automate assistant that will scan for fresh driver versions daily. Here is how to use it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the newly installed app to detect all your PC’s faulty drivers.
- You will be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you can choose the ones that you want to fix.
- Wait for the driver download and fixing process to complete.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Do not let a bad driver interfere with your games and installed software. Use DriverFix today and run them without a single issue.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Fix Dota 2 capped FPS
Disable the Xbox app in Windows.
- Type PowerShell and Run as an Admin.
- Run the command Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullname to display all the apps installed on your machine.
- Locate the two Xbox packages: Microsoft.XboxLIVEGames and Microsoft.XboxApp.
- Copy the PackageFullname of both packages.
- Type Remove-AppXPackage and add the PackageFullname of the first app, then hit Enter and do the same for the second app.
- Reboot and the Xbox integration will be history.
Disabling certain conflicting apps on Windows 10 such as the Xbox app, may cap the FPS to 60 on your device.
Disable Vsync from your GPU driver:
- Set FPS_max in the console to 120.
- Turn off the VSync.
- Check your autoexec / config for mat_vsync 1, change the value to 0.
- Disable Vsync completely from your GPU driver panel, it overrides the game settings.
Disabling the Xbox app in Windows, as well as disabling the Vsync from the GPU driver, are two helpful steps that can help you solve the Dota 2 capped FPS error.
3. Fix Dota 2 micro stutters
- Go to Settings, select Update & security, then click Windows Defender.
- Under Exclusions, select Add an exclusion, click the Add button.
- Go to the process you want to exclude and select Exclude this file.
- Go to Steam settings, then click Account, select NONE beta participation to disable Steam Beta participation. If the Workshop update is stuck on downloading pages of Steam, you need to reinstall Steam.
- Check the Task manager and disable any processes you don’t need.
- Check for malware.
If you want to get rid of those pesky Steam logging problems you need to exclude the Steam folder from Windows Defender.
You can easily perform this action by accessing the Setting menu and then follow the steps mentioned in this guide. This method should ensure that you have a smooth Dota experience.
4. Fix Dota 2 low FPS after hitting ALT-TAB
In order to solve the DOTA 2 low FPS issue, you need to set the engine_no_focus_sleep 0 to your autoexec / console. Doing this will get you one step closer to enjoying the game at optimum capacity.
After completing this action you need to switch to borderless windowed to reduce FPS in case you are running the game on a slower PC. Restart Dota and check if everything functions properly.
5. Fix Dota 2 won’t start from Steam
- Go to SteamSteamAppscommondota 2 betagamebinwin64win32 and then run dota2.exe.
- The game will start, but won’t establish any connection to the Steam network.
- Change all the video settings to lowest and set windowed mode.
- Relaunch Dota 2 from Steam client, adjust settings back to normal.
Users reported that they have issues starting Dota from Steam. In order to fix this, it is necessary to start the game and modify the video settings. Follow the suggestions above and you should fix the problem.
6. Fix Dota 2 crashes, texture issues and glitches
- Switch to single display mode if necessary, then go to Dota 2’s config file (SteamSteamAppscommondota 2 betagamedotacfg), delete video.txt.
- Disable the nod3d9ex command
- Make sure you’re running both Dota 2 and Steam as administrator.
- Disable VSync.
- Check and update your network driver.
- Remove any enhancement software.
- If you use a multiple graphics card configuration, make sure you’re running Dota 2 on your more powerful GPU.
You need to verify Dota 2‘s game cache integrity if you want to fix the problem that causes Dota 2 FPS to drop.
In order to do this, you need to start off by switching to single display mode and then follow the steps we presented carefully.
7. Fix Dota 2 low FPS
- Don’t forget to restart Dota 2 after each match to reset game memory.
- Disable unnecessary background processes, so that Steam and Dota2 can better access your computer’s resources.
- If you use a high-end Nvidia GPU, open NVIDIA Control panel, go to the Manage 3D Settings page, add Dota 2 as a program in the list.
- If you use an AMD CPU, turn off Turbo Core Control. Download AMD OverDrive, go to the Clock/Voltage tab, untick Enable Core Control. Do this manually after each restart of PC.
- On low-end PCs, turn off the Adobe Flash Player process running in the background.
- Turn off Steam Overlay.
- Run the game in true fullscreen mode on Steam.
- Set the lowest graphics settings possible.
- Lower your resolution as a temporary solution.
- Open the video.txt folder (…SteamAppscommondota 2 betagamedotacfg). Change all the settings below setting.nowindowborder to 0 (zero) to improve the performance for the cost of visual quality. Don’t forget to create a backup file before you do this.
- Rollback the previous GPU drivers.
- Reinstall your GPU drivers or update them.
- Reinstall Dota 2. Uncheck all the DLC you’ve downloaded before reinstalling the game.
- Download and install CCleaner. This tool checks your registry, cleans unused files, and optimizes your PC.
If you’re wondering how to fix the FPS drop issue in Dota 2, then another method is to disable unnecessary software and then try running the game in fullscreen mode on Steam.
Apply this method that many users confirmed as being of real help when the FPS happened to drop on Dota 2.
With that said, we can conclude this article. In case you have any questions or suggestions on how to improve FPS in Dota 2, feel free to tell us in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
A great solution, in this case, is to use a specialized tool like DriverFix that can download the latest updates. See what other solutions we prepared in this article that includes all the fixes on DoTA 2 FPS issues.
A great way to do this is to lower your resolution. See what other options you can resort to in this article that analyses how to increase FPS on laptop in Windows 10.
There are certain unused apps that might interfere with the game and this why you should close them. Check out other alternatives in this article on fixingLeague of Legends FPS drops on Windows 10.