Fix: Dota 2 fails to launch
MOBA games are taking over! League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm and Dota 2 are worldwide sensations with millions of professional and casual players. When it comes to the Steam service, Dota 2 is untouchable in a number of active participants. With vivid graphics and immersive gameplay, it is an amazing multiplayer experience.
Nevertheless, software without bugs is a non-existent, unicorn-like category. So, yes, Dota 2 has its technical issues. One of the issues that seamlessly showed up is the game launch failure. Most of the time, the crash is followed by the “Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)” message. So, we’ve prepared some possible solutions for this annoyance.
What to do if Dota 2 fails to start
Let Steam tool verify game files
Corrupted/incomplete file issue can be quite a challenge for some older titles. Back in the days, you would probably have to reinstall the game in order to make it work. This is not the case with Steam nowadays. With implemented File integration tool, you can check and fix any game in your library. To do so, follow these steps:
- Restart PC and open Steam client.
- Open Library.
- Right-click Dota 2.
- Click Properties.
- Select Local Files tab.
- Choose Verify integrity of game cache.
- The process execution time is proportional to the game size.
- If there is a corrupted file, Steam will highlight it.
Antivirus/antimalware/antispyware programs are known causes for Dota 2 malfunctioning. Last resort would be disabling them while playing the game. However, if you are attached to your security, try out these tweaks:
- Make your antivirus exclude the folders where the Steam client is installed (by default it is C:\Program Files\Steam)
- Start Game Mode if the antivirus supports that feature.
- If antivirus reports some Dota 2/Steam related files as a malware, mark them safe.
Disable background applications
There are reports that some background processes interfere with the client and the game. The ones that are most problematic are connection-dependent. Besides already mentioned antivirus programs, you should look out for firewall software, torrent clients, VPN and proxy software, VoIP apps, and IP masking programs. Be sure to disable them before you start the Steam client.
If none of these solutions actually worked, you should send the Steam Support Ticket here. That way, Steam technicians can address the issue, and provide additional details.
If you know some alternative solutions and are keen to share, please do so in the comments.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Ashbourne game issues: Too many bugs break a promising game
- Dota 2 FPS issues: Here’s how to fix them
- Fix: League of Legends sound not working
- Battle.net launcher links break your browser: what to do
- How to fix Battle.net installation and patch issues
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]