Firefox is not responding: How to fix this issue in Windows 10
Not being able to properly use your web browser is a bummer. If you use Firefox on Windows 10 and your web browser is currently not responding, follow the troubleshooting steps listed below. The steps from this tutorial should help you address all the errors and issues that can cause hangs or freezes on Firefox.
How to fix ‘Firefox not responding’ errors in Windows 10
Initiate a restart
The first thing to apply is a restart. If Firefox is not responding it means that something stopped its processes. And a restart might be the perfect solution for reinitiating everything. So, close Firefox (if the classic way isn’t working, close the program through Task Manager) and also restart your Windows 10 system. Finally, run Firefox and verify if everything works as it should now; if not, go to the next troubleshooting solution.
Update graphics card drivers
One reason why Firefox can run with issues is related to outdated drivers for the graphics card. So, you need to make sure that your Windows 10 system runs on the latest driver updates.
- Click on the Search icon – it’s located near the Windows start button.
- Type Device Manager and click on the same entry that will be displayed.
- From Device Manager expand the Display adapters option.
- Right click on each entry and choose ‘update driver software’.
Automatically update your drivers
Updating drivers is a necessary action, but an annoying and tedious process. We recommend TweakBit Driver updater tool (approved by Microsoft and Norton) that can do it automatically for you with just a few clicks.
This tool will help you to avoid permanent damage to your PC by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions. Here is a quick guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Disable hardware acceleration from Firefox
Hardware acceleration is a feature also related with your graphics card. In some situations, depending on certain graphic card setups, Firefox might get into a freeze loop when hardware acceleration is in use. So, let’s see how to turn this off:
- From top-right corner of Firefox click on the Menu icon.
- From the displayed list choose Options.
- Go to the General panel and look for the Performance entry.
- From there uncheck the ‘use recommended performance settings checkbox’ and also uncheck the ‘use hardware acceleration when available’ feature.
- Close Firefox and initiate your web browser again.
Reinitiate Firefox files
Firefox not responding in Windows 10 might be because some Firefox files are corrupted. So, you have to repair them. Here is how you can do that:
- First, go to the Firefox official web page and download a new installer file for your Windows 10 system.
- Don’t uninstall Firefox and don’t delete anything else.
- Close Firefox on your computer.
- On your computer go to the folder where Firefox is installed; there rename the program folder: for example from C:Program Filex (x86)Mozilla Firefox to C:Program Files (x86)Fx3805.
- Now, run the installer process by clicking on the downloaded Firefox executable file.
- In the end open Firefox and see if this helped you.
Create a fresh places database
New places database might fix the Firefox not responding malfunction – interrupted download processes from Firefox can cause corrupted places within the app database.
- Reminder: your web browsing history and your bookmarks will be now deleted.
- Click on the Firefox Menu icon and select Help (?).
- Go to Troubleshooting information and from Application Basics click on Open Folder.
- Now, open the Menu list once more and click on the ‘Power-off’ icon.
- Firefox will be turned off now.
- Now, go to the Firefox folder on your computer and under profile folder find and rename the following files: places.sqlite -> places.sqlite.old and places.sqlite-journal -> places.sqlite-journal.old.
- Restart Firefox.
Remove Session Restore files
If there are multiple Session Restore packages saved, the web browser can run slowly or randomly stop from running.
- Click on the Menu icon, go to Help (?) and pick up Troubleshooting information.
- Click on Open Folder from Application Nasics.
- Click the Menu button again and from there select the ‘power-off’ option.
- From your profile folder delete the following file: sessionstore.js. Also, remove any associated files such as sessionstore-1.js and so on.
- From Firefox, click on the Menu icon.
- From the list that will be showed choose Help (?).
- Select Troubleshooting information.
- Find and choose the Refresh Firefox option.
- Resume the reset process and open the web browser once more in the end.
These are the easiest solutions to repair Firefox. If the web browser is still not responding in Windows 10, give further info – tell us when you first got the problems, what happened when you tried to fix everything, etc.
Based on these details we will try to find specfic troubleshooting solutions in order to assist you as soon as possible. You can get in touch with us through the comments below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix Mozilla Firefox black screen issues
- Fix: “Firefox had a problem and crashed” in Windows 10
- Firefox uses too much memory on Windows 10 [Fix]
Whether you want to record a tech or sports podcast, recording a podcast is usually easy. Set up a mic, start the audio recorder, and […]
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]