Hard Drive not Showing up in Windows 10, 8.1, 8 [Fix]
If you tried upgrading to the new Windows 8 operating system from an older version of Windows at the end of the installation you might have some issues due to the fact that the second hard drive or even the hard drive where the Windows 8 was installed might not appear in your explorer. This is a common issue that many users are struggling with but don’t be alarmed because we can do a very quick fix on this that will take you only 10 minutes of your time.
The Windows 8 operating system you have installed might not recognize the hard drive for several reasons due to installation errors received from the hard disk but there is a feature inside Windows 8 that you can access and set up your hard drive back to normal in no time. By following the tutorial posted below you can make your hard drive appear in your explorer window as you had it in the previous version of Windows you were using.
Tutorial for making your hard drive show in Windows 10, 8.1 and 8
For us to show again your secondary hard drive or the hard drive you have installed Windows 10, 8.1 or 8 in file explorer we will need to access the control panel feature present in Windows.
Solution 1: Detect HDD from Control Panel
- Hover the mouse over the right side of the screen.
- Click(left click) on the “Settings” icon you have in the menu there.
- After clicking on “Settings” you will have to look in there for “Control Panel”
- Click(left click) on “Control Panel”
- You are presented in the Control panel window with a search box, we need to type in the search box the following sentence: “Disk Management”.
- In the Disk Management topic look for “Administrative tools”.
- Under “Administrative tools” topic you should be presented with a button that says “Create and Format hard disk portions”, click(left click) on it.
- You should look in there for the disk that is not showing up in your explorer (it should have a yellow icon next to it that has an exclamation mark).
- Click(right click) on the hard disk you are having trouble detecting and choose the feature “Import Foreign disk”
- After you did all these steps you will need to reboot the Windows 10, 8.1 or 8 PC or laptop and try to open file explorer again. Now should show you the missing hard drive and everything will be back to normal.
Note: This tutorial does not fix any hardware malfunctions you can have with your hard drive. If it is a hardware malfunction I recommend going directly to a specialized store or perhaps the electronics store you bought the PC from and try replacing the hard drive.
Solution 2: Try some simple fixes
What you should do before taking a decision about what to do with your HDD, are some simple steps that are listed below. They might be basic, but believe me, sometimes they might be the problem. The full guide on how to deploy all of this steps can be found in our dedicated articles about HDD not showing up. Here are the steps to follow:
- Check if the disk is well-connected (yes, this might be the problem in some cases)
- Initialize Disk
- Check BIOS (BIOS ports especially)
- Recover your partition
In case you have issues with the second hard drive that you added recently to your system, you will find the answers in this fix article. For an external hard drive that’s not showing up or other issues, here are the answers you need.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure but also file loss and malware.
So you have above the very easy way to fix your hard drive if it doesn’t show up in your Windows 8 operating system. You can leave us a comment below and tell us if this article was in any way useful to you and what we could do to improve it.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]