How to fix and repair hard drive errors - HDD/SSD Guides
Every PC owner, be it Windows or Mac, knows that the hard drive is one of the most crucial hardware components. It acts as the storage unit for all of your data, but it also acts as a launching pad for all the programs that you have installed on it.
What are the most common hard drive errors?
Any errors related to your hard drive can cause serious issues while using the PC. For example, hard drive issues can lead to:
- Issues with launching programs installed on that hard drive
- Difficulties copying or saving data to and from the drive
- Reduced storage size because of bad sectors
- Blue Screen of Death errors
- and more…
Here are just some of the most common hard drive issues that you may encounter:
How do I fix hard drive errors?
Since hard drive errors can be caused by both software and hardware-related issues, the solutions to fixing them are also software and hardware-related. Here are some of the things you could try when troubleshooting your typical hard drive error:
- Run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
- Clean your temporary files and folders
- Fix disk errors via Command Prompt
- Check your disk for errors
- Repair your registry
- Run System Restore
- Scan for bad sectors
- Run a SFC scan
Of course, not all hard drive errors can be fixed using these methods, as some are caused by more specific issues. That being said, check out the Hub below for more articles covering hard drive errors written by our experts.