With the latest version of internet explorer 11 on the market I am sure you are as interested as me to find out what are the improvements and new apps implemented. Unfortunately as promising as it sounds the Internet explorer 11 has also brought with it some issues. The major issue we have found with internet explorer 11 is when it crashes while using it on Windows 8.
Your internet explorer 11 can crash in Windows 8 for example if you graphics are not responding at a fast rate thus making the internet explorer 11 to stop responding or just close unexpectedly. Another way your internet explorer 11 might crash is if you have Add-ons installed that are not compatible with your new internet explorer 11 on Windows 8 but we will see a more explicit understanding of these issues a few rows below and a way to fix them in the shortest time possible.
How to fix internet explorer 11 if it crashes in Windows 8
- Open your Internet Explorer 11.
- Go to the “Tools” menu presented in the upper side of Internet Explorer.
- Click(left click) on the feature “Internet Options” you have in the Tools menu.
- Click(left click) on the “Advanced” tab you have in the upper side of the Internet Options window.
- Click(left click) on the “Settings” feature.
- And place a check mark next to “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering” which you can find in the “Acceleration graphics” topic.
- Click(left click) on the “OK” button situated in the lower side of the window.
- Reboot the Windows 8 PC and see if your Internet Explorer 11 keeps crashing.
Note: If this option fixed your issue then you will need to upgrade your graphics driver to the latest version compatible with Windows 8
Upgrading drivers manually is very annoying, so we recommend you to download this driver updater tool (100% safe and tested by us) to do it automatically. Thus, you will prevent file loss and even permanent damage to your computer.
- Press and hold the buttons “Windows” and “R”
- In the run box you opened we need to type “iexplore.exe –extoff.”
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard (this will launch Internet Explorer 11 without the add-ons you have installed).
- If your Internet Explorer 11 is working properly now then one of your add-ons is causing this issue.
Note: You can open your add-ons by going to the “Tools” menu and clicking (left click) the “Manage Add-ons” topic. From there you can disable them and see if the issue persists.
- Open Internet Explorer 11
- Click(left click) on the “Tools” menu situated in the upper side of the window.
- Click(left click) on “Internet Options”
- Click(left click) the “Advanced” tab in the upper side of the window.
- Click (left click) on the “Reset” Button.
- Click (left click) again on “Reset” in the new window that opened.
- Wait for Internet Explorer 11 to reset to default settings.
- Restart the Internet Explorer 11.
- Restart the Windows 8 PC.
- See if the Internet Explorer 11 still crashes.
- Press and hold the buttons “Windows” and “C”
- After you opened the Charms bar you need to left click on “Settings”
- Left click on “Change PC Settings”
- In the “Windows Update” topic left click on the button “Check now” and let your Internet Explorer 11 check for any updates available for your system.
- After its finished close internet explorer and reboot the Windows 8 PC.
You should do this only after you tried all the above options and failed to make your internet explorer 11 work.
We will reinstall the Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8:
- Press and hold the buttons “Windows” and “S”.
- In the search box you opened type “Windows features”
- Left click on “Turn Windows features on or off”
- Uncheck the box next to Internet Explorer 11 presented in the window you opened.
- Left click on the “OK” button presented in the lower side of the screen.
- Reboot the Windows 8 PC to finish the uninstall.
- Now you only need to go back and check again the box next to “Internet Explorer 11” and reboot the Windows 8 PC, this way it will automatically re install Internet Explorer 11 in your system.
It is always a safe bet to run a complete virus scan with your antivirus and let it remove any unwanted programs from the system and afterwards restart the Windows 8 PC.
So basically you can see above what are the reasons that make your Internet Explorer 11 crash in Windows 8 and also how to fix them. Most common issue is that you don’t have the latest version compatible with your Windows 8 system.
If this article was helpful or you need more information on the issue let us know below by writing us a few words.