How to fix the iTunes exe bad image error in Windows 10
Bad image errors can occur for various Windows software. Some iTunes users have stated on forums that a bad image error message pops up when they launch iTunes. That error message states: “iTunes.exe – Bad Image <file path> is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.” This is how you can fix the iTunes exe bad image error.
iTunes exe bad image errors
- Run the System File Checker
- Reinstall iTunes
- Reinstall QuickTime
- Repair iTunes With a Repair Install
- Uninstall Recent Windows Updates
- Restore Windows to a Restore Point
1. Run the System File Checker
The iTunes exe bad image issue could be due to missing or corrupted system or program file. As such, the System File Checker tool in Windows might resolve the issue by repairing corrupted files. You can initialize an SFC scan as follows.
- Open the Win + X menu in Windows 10 by pressing the Win key + X hotkey.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Input ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ and press Enter to run the Deployment Image Servicing tool.
- Then initiate an SFC scan by entering ‘sfc /scannow’ and pressing Return.
- Restart Windows if the SFC scan states that Windows Resource Protection repaired corrupt system files.
2. Reinstall iTunes
The iTunes error message suggests that you reinstall the software. That resolution might fix the issue if the software’s files or libraries are corrupted. First, uninstall iTunes more thoroughly with a third-party uninstaller. This is how you can uninstall iTunes with Advanced Uninstaller Pro 12.
- Press the Download Now button on this homepage to save Advanced Uninstaller Pro 12’s setup wizard to Windows.
- Open the setup wizard to install Advanced Uninstaller Pro 12.
- Open the Advanced Uninstaller Pro window.
- Click General Tools > Uninstall Programs to open the uninstaller utility in the shot directly below.
- Select iTunes and press the Uninstall button.
- Click the Use the leftover scanner option on the dialog box window that opens.
- Press the Yes button to confirm.
- Press the Next button on the Application uninstall window to erase leftovers.
- Then press the Done button.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling iTunes.
- Next, open this webpage; and press the Download now 32-bit or Download now 64-bit button depending on your platform.
- Open the new iTunes installer to add the software to Windows.
3. Reinstall QuickTime
QuickTime is also fairly essential software for iTunes to run. As such, also consider reinstalling QuickTime with a third-party uninstaller as outlined above. You can get the latest version of QuickTime by pressing the Download button on this page. Then open the QuickTime installer to add the software to Windows.
- ALSO READ: Fix: Antivirus blocking iTunes on Windows 10
4. Repair iTunes With a Repair Install
- Windows includes a repair install tool that you can utilize to fix a corrupted iTunes installation with. To repair iTunes, press the Win key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run and click OK to open the window shown directly below.
- Select iTunes on the software list.
- Then select the Repair option for iTunes.
- Alternatively, you can also press the Change button and then select a Repair option.
- Thereafter, restart your desktop or laptop.
5. Uninstall Recent Windows Updates
The iTunes bad image error can also often be due to problematic Windows updates. So uninstalling a recent update might also help fix the issue. Of course, it might not always be clear exactly what update is responsible. But if the error message began to pop up after the last update, removing the most recent Windows update might fix the issue. You can roll back minor updates in Windows 10 as follows.
- Open the Run accessory with the Win key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Click View installed updates to open the list of updates as in the snapshot below.
- Select an update to remove, and press the Uninstall button.
- Then you can restart Windows.
- Download the Show or hide updates tool from this page.
- Open the Show or hide updates tool, which will show you a list of available updates.
- Click Next and select the Hide updates option to open an available updates list.
- Select the update you uninstalled to ensure Windows doesn’t reinstall it.
— ALSO READ: iTunes Doesn’t Recognize iPhone on Windows 10 [Fix]
6. Restore Windows to a Restore Point
You can also utilize the System Restore tool to roll Windows back to a time when the iTunes image error message wasn’t popping up. System Restore will roll back all minor Windows updates after a selected restore point. So this resolution might also fix the bad image error for you. This is how you can utilize the System Restore utility.
- Enter ‘rstrui’ in Run, and press the OK button.
- Press the Next button on the System Restore window.
- Click the Show more restore points check box to fully expand the list of restore points.
- Now select a restore point to roll Windows back to. Pick a date that predates the iTunes exe bad image error.
- To check what software you’ll need to reinstall after a selected system restore point, press the Scan for affected programs button.
- Click the Next and Finish buttons to confirm your selected restore point.
One, or more, of those resolutions might kick-start iTunes and resolve the bad image error. Running the Automatic Repair tool from a Windows installation disc might also fix the issue. The Windows repair and optimizer software included in this post may also come in handy for fixing bad image errors.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Impactor.exe Bad Image: How to fix this error and launch your apps
- How to fix bad sectors in Windows 10, 8, 8,1
- ‘Something bad happened. Unknown layout specified in manifest’ [FIX]
The error You do not have the necessary privilege to create new virtual machines appears in the cases in which the user doesn’t have enough […]
Microsoft released their Q4 earnings an it’s all good news. The giant registered amazing growth on all departments, increasing its share price by one third. […]
Microsoft released the latest 1908 Xbox One system update for the members of the Xbox One Preview Alpha Ring. Along with it also comes the […]