How to fix League of Legends FPS issues on Windows computers
League of Legends is an epic multiplayer online battle arena game where two opposing teams try to destroy the other team’s Nexus. As players progress through the game, their characters gain more experience and become more powerful.
LoL is an impressive and challenging game, but sometimes the gaming experience is affected by technical issues. One of the most frequent bugs affecting League of Legends is the FPS drop issue. The good news is that there are a series of quick workarounds that you can use to fix this problem.
Fix League of Legends FPS drop on Windows 10
1. Run the latest drivers and game updates
Make sure you’ve installed the latest drivers on your computer as well as the latest game updates. Using the latest optimization resources significantly improves your gaming experience. Use the links below to check if you’re running the latest graphics drivers on your Windows 10 computer:
Update drivers automatically
Updating drivers manually can cause damage to your system by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions. Thus, we strongly suggest to do it automatically by using Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus and works like a charm. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best automatized solution. Below you can find a quick guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
2. Close unused apps
Turn off the apps and programs that eat up your system’s memory before launching LoL. Here’s how to check if there are any CPU-intensive processes running in the background:
1. Type Task Manager in the Search menu > in the Processes tab, you’ll see all the programs currently running on your computer
2. Click on the CPU column to sort the active processes
You can also disable non-essential processes by performing a clean startup:
- Type msconfig in the Search menu > go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services > select the Disable All button
- Click on the Startup tab > select the Disable All button
- Click on the Apply button > OK
- Restart your computer.
3. Change the game’s settings
You can also play around with League of Legends settings to find a good balance between performance and quality. Use the configuration listed below to see if this reduces or solves the FPS drop issues:
- Settings: Custom
- Resolution: Match desktop resolution
- Character Quality: Very Low
- Environment Quality: Very Low
- Shadows: No Shadow
- Effects Quality: Very Low
- Frame Rate Cap: 60 FPS
- Wait for Vertical Sync: Unchecked
- Anti-Aliasing: Unchecked.
Also, adjust the interface options, using the following configuration:
- Uncheck Enable HUD animations
- Uncheck Show Target Frame on attack
- Uncheck Enable line missile display
- Uncheck Show Attack Range.
4. Reset your graphics card software
Graphics cards come with their own software: NVIDIA comes with the NVIDIA Control Panel and AMD has the Catalyst Control Center. The two programs allow users to set up profiles that potentially interfere with League of Legends. By resetting them to default values, you allow LoL to take control over the graphics settings.
How to reset NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Right-click on your desktop > select NVIDIA Control Panel
- Select Manage 3D Settings > select Restore Defaults.
How to reset AMD Catalyst Control Center
- Right-click on your desktop > select Catalyst Control Center (aka VISION center)
- Go to Preferences > click on Restore Factory Defaults.
5. Repair corrupt game files
Corrupt game files can cause FPS issues. Use the League of Legends file repair function to fix corrupted files:
- Open League of Legends
- Click on the ? icon in the top right-hand corner > click Repair > wait.
The repair process can take up to 30 minutes, depending on how bad the situation is. Be patient.
6. Make sure your computer is not overheating
If League of Legends works fine for an hour and then suddenly slows down, your computer is probably overheating. Check if there’s extremely hot air coming out of your computer to make sure. Here’s how to reduce overheating while playing LoL:
- Clean your computer’s vents or fans with compressed air. Computer fans often clog with dust, dirt and hair. Cleaning your computer’s vents and fans regularly keeps your machine cool.
- Buy a laptop cooler or a cooling pad. They’re really useful.
7. Disable all game sounds
This is a classic workaround that often works. You’ll experience a performance boost after you disable in-game sounds.
8. Clean your computer’s registry
All programs make modifications to the system registry. Over time, these changes can affect your computer’s performance. There are various registry cleaners that you can choose from to repair your registry. Install one on your computer and you’ll notice the difference.
We hope these solutions help you to fix League of Legends’ low FPS issues. If you come across other workarounds, list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to delete and fix Astroneer corrupt save game files
- Here’s how to fix frequent Final Fantasy XV bugs
- Fix: Counter Strike: Global Offensive Issues On Windows 10
Firefox has announced that it will start to warn users if they visit any breached sites. This is in an attempt to not only make […]
Oh dear. It’s been a pretty bad month for Microsoft concerning its Windows 10 October 1809 Update release. Microsoft eventually released the update a couple […]
Yesterday, Microsoft released Visual Studio 15.9. With it came the announcement that “developers now have the officially supported SDK and tools for creating 64-bit ARM […]