- One issue known to affect many users' multimedia experience is the error code 0xc00d36c4.
- In our article we're going to present you with user-friendly solutions for fixing this problem.
- Check out all the useful tips on the latest video tools by visiting our Video Software Hub.
- Learn how to manage those software bugs, by accessing the Windows 10 Errors Section.
Error code 0xc00d36c4 is a media error that may show up when the user tries to open a video/audio file, usually right after a fresh Windows installation or after installing a major update.
The error generally shows up when trying to play music from a media device such as a DVD or a phone connected via USB. Most often, users report getting this error when trying to play the media files on Windows Media Player, Groove, or Xbox music.
In this article, we look into some troubleshooting methods to resolve error code 0xc00d36c4 on Windows 10.
How can I fix the Music/Video error 0xc00d36c4?
1. Use Stellar Repair for Video
Stellar Repair for video is a premium software developed to repair severely damaged video files that got broken during the editing and transfer process, or even while shooting the footage.
You no longer have to worry about that blurry videos or annoying flickering, because with this tool you can fix these type of problems and many more.
This software is ideal for Windows and Mac users and supports over 17 format video files including MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV. It is also compatible with a variety of external media storage such as SD cards, USB flash drives or HDDs.
With Stellar you can save time by repairing multiple videos simultaneously and you can see the final results before saving the files thanks the preview feature.
Stelar Repair for VideoRely on this advanced software to repair damaged videos so you can enjoy high-quality results!
2. Turn off Copy Protection in Windows Media Player
- Click on Start and type Media Player in the search bar. Open Media Player.
- On the top left part of the Windows Media Player window, click on Organize and open Options.
- Open the Rip Music tab.
- Uncheck Copy Protect Music and click OK.
3. Use K-Lite Codec Pack
Codecs are programs that help encode and decode the digital data on media files. Basically, they help open digital media files on your computers. Most often, error code 0xc00d36c4 shows up because of missing codecs. Fortunately, you can easily install them.
All you have to do is open the installation wizard and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Once done, restart your computer.
4. Use VLC Media Player
VLC media player is multimedia tool acknowledged for its capacity to open a wide variety of video and audio format files, in addition to DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs.
One of its most impressive qualities is that it can play a multitude of codecs like MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3 without having to install those particular codec packs.
The VLC player is compatible with all platforms Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android and many more.
You’ll also appreciate the fact that you can have all the benefits of this excellent tool without spending a dime, because you can download it for free in complete safety.
This is a user friendly software, just follow the installation wizard instructions and then use the VLC media player to open the video file you wish
If VLC media player cannot open your media file, this proves that the file is corrupt, or that the problem lies in missing codecs.
If you VLC is lagging on Windows 10, take a look at this article to find out how you can make it run properly again.
5. Move your music files
Sometimes, moving the media files to from an external storage location into your internal storage can help resolve the issue.
Select the files you want to play and copy them (Ctrl + C). Paste them in a location within your internal storage (Ctrl + V). See if the files will open now.
If it doesn’t, you may try to copy them in the default Windows Music Library. This is the Music folder inside C: (or which ever your local disk is) Users.
6. Fix Playback Settings misconfiguration
- On the bottom right corner of the screen, locate the Volume icon.
- Click on Playback devices.
- Open the Speaker tab and select Configure options to open the Speaker setup window.
- A list of audio channels will appear. Click on the Test button for each audio channel. If an error message saying Failed to play test tone appears, make a note of the channel.
- Once you’ve tested all Audio channels, click on Next.
- Unselect all the speakers that produced the error.
- Close the window and see if the media files will play now.
Sometimes error code 0xc00d36c4 may appear due to the playback settings being changed by a malware or by an different user. Troubleshooting the configurations can help resolve the issue.
We trust that our comprehensive article helped you with fixing the 0xc00d36c4 error. If you have any more questions or suggestions, leave them in the comments section below.