Fix: Music/Video error 0xc00d36c4 on Windows 10
Error code 0xc00d36c4 is a media error that may show up when the user tries to open a video/audio file, usually right after a fresh Windows installation or after installing a major update. The error generally shows up when trying to play music from a media device such as a DVD or a phone connected via USB. Most often, users report getting this error when trying to play the media files on Windows Media Player, Groove, or Xbox music.
In this article we look into some troubleshooting methods to resolve error code 0xc00d36c4 on Windows 10.
How to fix Music/Video error 0xc00d36c4
- Turn off copy protection in Windows Media Player
- Install missing codecs
- Use VLC Media Player
- Move your music files
- Fix playback settings misconfiguration
Solution 1 – Turn off Copy Protection in Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player by default copy protects the media files it burns, making them impossible to open in other media/music players. You can easily turn this feature off. Follow these steps:
1. Click on Start and type Media Player in the search bar. Open Media Player.
2. On the top left part of the Windows Media Player window, look for “Organize”. Click on it and open Options.
3. Open the Rip Music tab.
4. Uncheck “Copy Protect Music”. Click OK to apply the changes.
This will make sure the problem doesn’t show up in the future. For now, move on to the next step.
Solution 2 – Missing Codecs
Codecs are programs that help encode and decode the digital data on media files. Basically, they help open digital media files on your computers. Most often, error code 0xc00d36c4 shows up because of missing codecs. Fortunately, you can easily install them.
Download the K-Lite Codec Pack from this link. Open the installation wizard and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Once done, restart your computer.
Hopefully this should resolve the issue. If not, try the next step.
Solution 3 – Use VLC Media Player
Perhaps the easiest solutions would be to try and open the media file on VLC media player. If VLC media player cannot open your media file, this proves that the file is corrupt. VLC can otherwise open pretty much any format of media file. Follow these steps:
1. Download VLC Media Player from the official website.
2. Open the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Once the process is complete right click on the media file you want to open. Select Open With > VLC Media Player.
See if the file opens. If it does, then the problem lies in missing codecs.
Solution 4 – Move your music files
Sometimes, moving the media files to from an external storage location into your internal storage can help resolve the issue.
Select the files you want to play and copy them (Ctrl + C). Paste them in a location within your internal storage (Ctrl + V). See if the files will open now.
If it doesn’t, you may try to copy them in the default Windows Music Library. This is the Music folder inside C: (or which ever your local disk is) > Users. If that doesn’t do it either, try the next solution.
Solution 5 – Playback Settings misconfiguration
Sometimes error code 0xc00d36c4 may appear due to the playback settings being changed by a malware or by an different user. Troubleshooting the configurations can help resolve the issue. Simply follow these steps:
1. On the bottom right corner of the screen, locate the Volume icon.
2. Click on “Playback devices”.
3. Open the Speaker tab and select “Configure options” to open the Speaker setup window.
4. A list of audio channels will appear. Click on the Test button for each audio channel. If an error message saying “Failed to play test tone” appears, make a note of the channel.
5. Once you’ve tested all Audio channels, click on “Next”.
6. Unselect all the speakers that produced the error.
7. Close the window and see if the media files will play now.
Hopefully one of these solutions worked for you. If not, try contacting Microsoft Support.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Error 0x80070005-0x90002 on Windows 10
- Windows 10 automatically detects media files and makes folder suggestions
- Media Player Classic reaches the end of its line
Using a VPN on your Windows Server has a lot of advantages for all parties included and it allows users in a small environment access to […]
The Windows 10 Action Center includes Quick Action buttons that provide shortcuts for adjusting settings. For example, users can press the Tablet mode button to […]