- Even though NBA 2K18 is an exciting game, many gamers reported all sorts of issues that prevent them from playing.
- To make sure you avoid problems in general, install the latest version of Windows 10.
- You should also reset your graphics card software to default.
- Check your system files for corruption and edit the registry by following our step-by-step guide below.
NBA 2K18 is an addictive basketball simulation game that offers gamers the chance to become the best basketball players in the world.
Unfortunately, many gamers reported that the overall NBA 2K18 gaming experience leaves a lot to be desired, even if it does bring lots of new features and awesome graphics.
The game is affected by a plethora of issues, ranging from minor bugs to severe problems that actually prevent gamers from playing the game.
In order to help you fix some of the most frequent NBA 2K18 issues, we’ve compiled a list of workarounds that should quickly resolve these problems.
How do I fix NBA 2K18 issues?
1. Install the latest Windows updates
- Press the Windows Key + S and type in Settings.
- Select Update & Security.
- Then, select Windows Update and click on Check for updates.
- Let the Windows search and finish the updating process.
Make sure that you’ve installed the latest Windows updates on your PC in order to enjoy a smooth gaming experience.
To access the Windows Update section, you can simply type follow the instruction above. We have to mention that Microsoft includes lots of security changes in their Windows update.
Therefore, we advise you to keep your operating system up-to-date for your safety and the well-being of your PC.
2. Install the latest graphics driver updates
- Press the Windows Key + S and search for Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, go to your Display adapter and expand it.
- Right-click on your GPU and select Update driver.
Make sure you’ve installed the latest drivers on your computer. Using the latest optimization resources significantly improves your gaming experience.
You can also use the links below to check if you’re running the latest graphics drivers on your Windows computer. Also, make sure to use the dedicated GPU while playing NBA 2K18.
Update your drivers automatically
One other way to update your GPU drivers is using third-party software that will do it for you. The program will constantly scan your PC’s hardware for newer available versions.
Never worry about out-of-date drivers again, and never get through the trouble of manually updating them thanks to this automated tool.
Big-time gaming can be done without crashes, lags or freezes by keeping all drivers up to date and error-free. Manual checks are hard to perform, that’s why we recommend using an automate assistant that will scan for fresh driver versions daily. Here is how to use it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the newly installed app to detect all your PC’s faulty drivers.
- You will be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you can choose the ones that you want to fix.
- Wait for the driver download and fixing process to complete.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Do not let a bad driver interfere with your games and installed software. Use DriverFix today and run them without a single issue.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Reset your graphics card software
How to reset NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Right-click on your desktop.
- Select NVIDIA Control Panel
- Go to Manage 3D Settings and click Restore Defaults.
How to reset AMD Catalyst Control Center
- Right-click on your desktop then select Catalyst Control Center (aka VISION center)
- Go to Preferences and click on Restore Factory Defaults.
Graphics cards come with their own software: NVIDIA comes with the NVIDIA Control Panel and AMD has the Catalyst Control Center.
The two programs allow users to set up profiles that can potentially interfere with NBA 2K18. By resetting them to default values, you allow the game to take control over the graphics settings.
4. Update DirectX
DirectX is a set of tools that allows games to work directly with your PC’s video and audio hardware. They are required for playing any game, so they are mandatory.
Installing newer DirectX versions isn’t that hard. For more information about the latest DirectX version and how to install it, go to Microsoft’s Support page.
5. Fix NBA 2K18 data user file corruption issues
- Go to Dashboard and select NBA2k18.
- Choose Manage game then go to Saved data.
- Clear Reserved Space files.
- Exit and go to Settings, then choose All Settings.
- Open System then open Storage.
- Select Clear local saved games, then restart your Xbox One.
- Start Nba2k18 and wait for files to be synced.
- Once the files are synced, you should be able to continue your game.
If you are prompted with the File is corrupted or File is missing errors on your Xbox One, this workaround can help you.
More specifically, you’re going to delete the corrupted files from your console and then retrieve them from cloud.
In order to boost your game performance and get rid of slowdowns, lag, low FPS, and other annoying issues, we recommend downloading Game Fire.
To fix corrupted files issues on PC, you can also verify the integrity of your game files on Steam:
- Restart your PC and launch Steam
- Go to the Library section, then right-click on NBA 2K18 and select Properties.
- Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files button.
- Wait until Steam finishes the task, then launch the game again and check if the issue persists.
6. Repair your registry
- Go to Start then type Command Prompt.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Now type the following command
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer.
- All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot. Launch NBA 2K18 again and check if the issues persist.
The simplest way to repair your registry is to use a dedicated tool. Don’t forget to first backup your registry in case anything goes wrong.
You can also use Microsoft’s System File Checker to check for system file corruption. The utility verifies the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.
7. Restart your network
- Go to Start and type settings. Double click the first result to open the Settings page
- Go to Network and Internet, then Status, and scroll down to Network reset.
- Hit the Reset now button and confirm your choice.
- Setup your network again.
An alternative workaround is to manually switch your network. It seems that some online modes can occasionally cause file corruption. Follow the instructions below in order to resolve this issue.
- Go to Settings then go to Network Settings.
- Choose to Forget your network or Go Offline.
- Shut down the console and unplug your Power Source.
- Start Xbox One again.
- Enable your Network then start the Game.
8. Disable background apps
- On Windows 10, you can disable background apps using the Settings page
- Go to Start, then type settings and double-click the first result.
- Go to Privacy, scroll down to Background apps, then turn off the background apps toggle.
- Restart your PC and check if the issue persists.
Sometimes, background apps may interfere with your games. Try disabling them to see if this action fixes some of the NBA 2K18 bugs that you’re experiencing.
We hope that the solutions listed above helped you to fix some of the most common NBA 2K18 issues.
Make sure no driver-related problem stops you from playing your favorite games. Take a look at this helpful article dedicated to updating your GPU drivers and learn what you need to do.
If you’ve come across other workarounds to fix the bugs affecting the game, you can help the gaming community by listing the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.