Fix: Error Code ‘0xc004c008’ in Windows 10, Windows 8.1
Did you have any hardware issues recently? For example, if you’re hard drive in your Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 crashed for any kind of reasons you will install the Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 operating system again on a new hard drive you buy. Unfortunately, after you are asked to enter your product key during the installation in the Windows 8.1 system you might end up with the error code 0xc004c008.
The error code 0xc004c008 usually appears when you install the Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 product a specific number of times. Because the Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 license can only be installed on a single device and of course if your device crashes and you buy a new one or just change a hardware component you might need a new product activation code. Luckily for us, there is a very easy fix to this issue and you will find out more by reading the lines below.
How to fix error code 0xc004c008 in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1:
First option: Try Phone Activation
- Press and hold the button “Windows” and the button “R” to open the “Run” window.
Note: Another way to open the run Windows is from within the start menu of the Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 system.
- Write in the “Run” window the following command: “SLUI 4”.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- You will now have a “Phone Activation” window in front of you.
- In the window you will need to choose the country from which you registered.
- Call the activation number after you chose the country.
- After you dialed you should be asked to write you’re “Installation ID”.
- After you typed the installation ID it will ask you how many copies of Windows have been installed with this license and you should choose “1”. If you choose any other option it will not work.
Note: The option “1” you chose means that you only used it once.
- After you did the steps above you should get a confirmation ID and then you are set to go with a workable product key.
Second option: Use Windows Activation Troubleshooter
Some users reported that they fixed this issue by using the troubleshoot option from the Activation options window. While this is not the fix for every user, this is a simple manipulation that you can try and which may fox your problem. Before trying out this solution, sign in as Administrator. After you have signed in as an Administrator, here’s what you have to do:
- Press Windows Key + I to open Windows Settings
- Scroll down, find Update&Security tab and open it
- Open Activation tab
- Click the Troubleshoot feature and wait until it finishes
- See if the problem still persists
Third option: Contact Microsoft
If you didn’t like the option posted above you can always call directly Microsoft office by dialing the number “18009365700” and explain what error message you get in your Windows 10 and 8.1 operating system.
They will most likely resolve it over the phone and you can go on with your installation of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
Please write us below any other thoughts on the error message 0xc004c008 and we will help you further in the quest of installing Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 into your device.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
After recent bad news stories about updates released by Microsoft for Windows 10, that you can read here and here, it is refreshing to read (or […]
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]