- Windows Activation keys are quite common if you don't use genuine Windows keys.
- We will be showing you how to fix Windows 10 Activation error 0x80041023.
- For more similar articles, visit our dedicated Activation Errors Hub.
- If other issues are also plaguing your PC, check out our Windows 10 Errors page.
Error 0x80041023 is a Windows activation issue that can arise for some users. That activation error can arise for users trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to the Pro edition, upgrade from an older Windows OS, or reinstall the platform.
The activation error 0x80041023 message states, The product key you entered didn’t work. Consequently, users can activate Windows 10 when that error arises.
How can I fix error 0x80041023?
1. Check you’re entering the product key right
First, check that you’re entering a valid product key.
- To to do so, press the Windows key + S keyboard shortcut.
- Type cmd in the search box that opens.
- Right-click the Command Prompt and select the Run as administrator option on its context menu.
- Enter this command in the Prompt’s window: wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.
- When you press Enter, Command Prompt will show you the product key.
- Note down the product key displayed.
- Enter that key in the Product key box.
2. Activate Windows 10 with the SLMGR command
If you’re trying to activate Windows 10 Pro, after upgrading from Home, try activating the platform via the Command Prompt.
- To do that, press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Input cmd in Run’s text box.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter hotkey, which will open an elevated Command Prompt window.
- Then enter this command and press Return: slmgr /ipk <Windows Key>. Replace the <Windows Key> placeholder with your actual product key.
- Input slmgr /ato in the Command Prompt, and press the Return key.
- Restart Windows after activating the product key.
3. Get a new, valid key
If you’re reinstalling Windows 10, bear in mind that the key you activated the platform with before might be one-time use MAK key. If that’s the case, you can’t active a reinstalled platform with the same MAK key.
In which case, you’ll need to get a new Windows 10 activation key from MS Store or Amazon.
4. Are you trying to upgrade from an OEM license?
Activation error 0x80041023 will also arise for users trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with OEM licenses. Those OEM licenses are only intended for new PCs.
Thus, activation won’t work for Windows 10 Pro on a PC that originally came with OEM Windows 10 Home. In which case, you’ll need to reinstall the original Windows 10 Home and upgrade to the Pro edition via MS Store.
To check if your product key is OEM non-transferable, reinstall Windows 10 Home. Then open the Command Prompt. Input slmgr /dli in the Command Prompt, and press the Return key.
Thereafter, a Script Host window will open that tells you your license type.
If none of the above resolutions fix activation error 0x80041023, contact Microsoft support.
Microsoft’s Customer Service number page includes a list of phone numbers for various regions.
Let us know how you managed to resolve this issue by leaving us a message in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Windows Activation errors
- What is a Windows Activation error?
A Windows Activation error is something that occurs when you fail to activate your OS with a license key properly.
- How can I prevent a Windows Activation error?
One way to prevent such errors is to always use genuine installation media.
- How can I fix a Windows Activation error?
You can fix a WIndows Activation error by manually activating it again using a valid license key.