Quick Fix: Windows 10/8.1/8 Update Error ‘80073712’
How do I fix Windows Update 80073712 error?
In Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 after you first install the operating system on your device you might get the error 80073712 which means that your operating system failed to successfully update an application on your device. Fortunately for us there is a solution and by reading the tutorial posted a few rows below you will find out what you can do to fix the update error 80073712 and know next time how to handle this issue.
There is a feature inside Windows 8 and Windows 10 called the component store, basically this feature keeps the files and folders required to update your applications every time it is required but if this feature is corrupted in any way you will most likely get the update error 80073712. So follow the methods below very carefully for a quick fix and be sure to do them step by step.
Fixing update error 80073712 in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1: what to do?
1. Troubleshoot your PC
- First, you will need to left click or tap on the link posted below in order to install a system repair tool.
Download here system repair tool
- After you selected the link above you will need to save the file to your Windows 8 device by left clicking on the “OK” button.
- Run the executable file and let the troubleshooter run its course.
- After it is done you will need to reboot the Windows 8 or Windows 10 device and check if the update error 80073712 appears again.
2. Run a DISM scan
- Move the mouse pointer over to the upper right side of the screen to open the charms bar.
- Left click or tap on the “Search” feature.
- In the search feature, you will need to write “Command Prompt”.
- Left click or tap on the “Command Prompt as Admin” icon after the search is finished.
- After the “Command Prompt” window pops up you will need to write in there the following line: “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth” but without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- Write in the command prompt window the following line: “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- Write in the command prompt window the following command: “Exit” but without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard to exit the command prompt window.
- Try to do the update again and see if you still have the same error message.
Note: if you get the same update error 80073712 reboots the Windows 8, Windows 10 device and try again to update the system.
3. Refresh your PC (critical solution)
- Move the mouse pointer over to the upper right side of the screen.
- Left click or tap on the “Settings” feature.
- In the “Settings” feature you will need to left click or tap on the “Change PC Settings” option.
- Left click or tap on “Update and recovery”.
- Left click or tap on “Recovery” in the next window.
- You will see there a topic that says “Refresh your PC without affecting your files” and you will need to left click or tap on the “Get started” button.
- After this you will only need to follow the instructions posted on the screen for a quick refresh of the system.
- After the refresh feature is finished please try updating again the files in Windows 8 or Windows 10 and see if you have the Update error 80073712.
4. Fix Recent Windows Update errors
Error 80073712 is not the only one that can obstruct the functionality of your PC. There were many updates released recently, and all of them had some specific problems. You might be interested in fixing them as they might appear on your pc as well. Here is a short list:
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware, and hardware failure.
Now you have three more solutions to your Update error 80073712 which you can try and get rid of this issue once and for all. You can also write us below for any questions that you may have regarding the error message 80073712 and we will help you in the shortest time possible.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
The DNS server, short for Domain Name Server is where the management, maintenance and processing of Internet domain names take place. Or in simple terms, […]
Getting the perfect gift for FIFA fans is actually an easy job. Basically, you get them anything related to their favorite game and you’ll make […]
Microsoft added Tablet mode to Windows 10 primarily for 2-in-1 laptops and tablets, such as the Surface Pro. Tablet mode displays a start screen from […]