World of Warcraft is one of the most popular online multiplayer games in the world. Launched in 2004, WoW has millions of active players, ready to fight and kill huge monsters.
The game is also affected by various technical issues, and in this article, we’re going to focus on high latency and frequent disconnections. If you’re experiencing these issues, follow the troubleshooting steps listed below.
Fix: World of Warcraft latency bugs
To start with, check the Service Status page of World of Warcraft. If the servers are available, but you can’t join, continue troubleshooting. Preferably, you’ll follow the steps below in this order, but if you’ve already tried some of them, move down through the list until you deplete the options. Here’s the list of our network-related troubleshooting steps:
- Reset the game’s user interface.
- Install the latest Windows updates. Outdated OS versions may cause connection issues.
- Install the latest hardware drivers. Outdated drivers can cause stability issues, connection bugs, and errors.
- Optimize your Internet connection. Use a wired connection if available.
- Close any background apps that may interfere with the game.
- Disable or temporarily uninstall any security programs. Certain programs may interfere with the game.
- Flush the DNS to eliminate incorrect DNS configurations. If your Internet connection is usually slow and often disconnects, chances are your DNS may not be configured correctly. Launch Command Prompt> type ipconfig /flushdns > hit Enter.
- Check your Windows Host File. Recent changes may cause connection issues.
- Make sure your network adapter is working properly. Any malfunction in this piece of hardware may cause connection issues.
- Check your network configuration to make sure your firewall, proxy, router, and port settings are correct.
- Reset your router. Unplug it, wait for one minute and then plug it back in.
- Install the latest firmware on your modem and router, and the latest drivers on your network card. Go to your hardware manufacturer’s website to download the latest updates.
With that said, we can conclude this article. By following these steps, you should be able to resolve all latency issues on World of Warcraft. In case you have anything to add or take, feel free to do so in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.