GOG Galaxy is game client software with which players can acquire and install new Windows 10 games. However, some users have posted on the GOG forum about Installation Failed errors that arise for games they’ve tried to install. Thus, users can’t get the game up running with the GOG gaming client when that issue arises.
How can Users Fix GOG Games That Aren’t Installing?
1. Free Up Some Hard Drive Space
The Installation Failed error can arise for users with overly full hard drives. Try freeing up some HDD space if the drive is almost full. Uninstalling superfluous software is probably the quickest and best way to free up a bit of hard drive space. Users can also utilize disk cleaners to delete browser caches and temporary files that can also waste hard drive space.
2. Select the Verify/Repair Option
- Some users have fixed the Installation Failed error with the Verify/Repair option in GOG Galaxy. First, open the GOG client software.
- Then find and select the game installation that needs fixing within the GOG Galaxy library.
- Click the More button, and select the Manage installation submenu.
- Click the Verify/Repair option.
3. Delete the Galaxy.db File
- Users have confirmed that deleting the galaxy.db file can resolve the Installation Failed error for GOG games. First, make sure the GOG gaming client isn’t running.
- Open File Explorer with the Windows key + E keyboard shortcut.
- Open the GOG Storage subfolder, which will usually be at this default path: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\Storage.
- Select the galaxy.db file in that folder.
- Click the Delete button to erase the file, which will reset the database.
4. Disable Third-Party Antivirus Software
- The Installation Failed error can be due to third-party antivirus software (especially Avast). Try removing third-party antivirus software from the system startup by right-clicking the taskbar and selecting Task Manager.
- Click the Start-up tab.
- Select the antivirus utility, and press the Disable button.
- Close the Task Manager utility, and then restart Windows.
- Alternatively, users can usually temporarily turn off antivirus utilities by right-clicking their system tray icons and selecting a turn off or disable option.
- Or users can uninstall antivirus utilities by opening the Programs and Features Control Panel applet, selecting the antivirus software listed there, and clicking Uninstall.
4. Adjust the GOG Galaxy Folder’s Security Settings
- Users have also fixed Installed Failed errors by unchecking the Read Only option for the GOG Galaxy and game folders. Open File Explorer in Windows.
- Right-click the GOG Galaxy folder in File Explorer and select Properties.
- Deselect the Read-only option, if it’s selected, on the General tab.
- Click the Apply and OK buttons.
- Then deselect the Read-only options for the folders that include the games the Installation Failed error arises for.
The above resolutions have fixed GOG Installation Failed errors for numerous users. There might be more potential fixes, however, and users who have fixed Installation Failed errors with other resolutions are welcome to share them below.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Computer crashes while playing games in Windows 10
- Full Fix: Blue Circle When Playing Games in Windows 10, 8.1, 7