GOG is a popular game publishing and distribution platform for classic games that allows the users to manage all of their games from one place. However, at times you encounter GOG games won’t launch issues on your PC.
This is a common problem, but you can fix it with some tweaks. In this article, we have compiled a list of fixes to help you resolve GOG games won’t launch issue in Windows computers.
Note: These fixes deal with both GOG standalone installer as well as the Steam client.
Troubleshoot GOG games not working on Windows 10
1. Run the game from the directory
- If you are unable to launch the GOG games from the desktop shortcut, try to launch the game directly from the installation folder.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the GOG game data folder.
- Double-click on your game‘s .exe file. The game will open without any issues.
2. Disable Run as administrator
- If you have enabled “Run as administrator” in the game properties, try disabling it.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the game directory where the game is installed.
- Right-click on the “game.exe” file of the problematic game. (example – crosscode-beta.exe for Crosscode)
- Select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Under the “Settings” section, uncheck “Run this program as an administrator” option.
- Click Apply and click OK to save the changes.
- Double-click on the game.exe file and check if it if fixes the GOG games won’t launch problem.
3. Run the game in compatibility mode
- One workaround to run some games is to run them in the compatibility mode.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the game directory where the problematic game is installed.
- Right-click on the “game.exe” file and select “Properties”.
- In the Properties window, click the Compatibility tab.
- Under the “Compatibility mode”, check “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” box.
- Select the OS for the compatibility mode by clicking on the drop-down menu.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
4. Verify game cache
- If you are using GOG via Steam client, try verifying the game cache.
- Launch the Steam client on your computer.
- Click on the Library tab.
- Right-click on your game and select “Properties”.
- In the Properties window, open the Local Files tab.
- Click on “Verify integrity of game files” button.
- Steam will validate the game files and show “All file successfully validated” message.
- Click “Close”.
- Try launching the game and check if the GOG game launches successfully.
5. Delete galaxy.dll file
- If you are using GOG Galaxy, try deleting the galaxy.dll file from the game folder.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steamsteamapps/common/Your game
- Next, go to your game/bin/x64 folder.
- Delete the galaxy.dll file from the folder. Also, delete any file that mentions of Galaxy.
- Close the file explore and launch the GOG game.
- Wait for a minute for the game to boot, and that should fix GOG game not working on your computer problem.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE: