- Google Chrome users reported that sometimes their browser doesn't display their most visited websites.
- If you too are among them, then go ahead and continue reading the guide below.
- For more information on browser issues, visit our dedicated Browser Hub.
- To read more about this particular browser, visit our website's Google Chrome section.
Google Chrome is a great browser with millions of users, but many reported that Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites anymore. This can be an inconvenience since you won’t be able to access your favorite websites quickly. However, there’s a way to fix this issue.
Not being able to see most visited websites in Chrome can be an issue, and speaking of issues, here are some similar problems that users reported:
- Google Chrome most visited thumbnails not showing – According to users, sometimes your thumbnails might not be showing in most visited section. To fix this, simply visit the website from this section and the thumbnail should update itself.
- Chrome new tab page not showing most frequently visited pages – This issue can occur if Chrome is set not to store any cookies on your PC. Simply disable this option and your most visited websites should appear.
- Chrome frequently visited sites disappeared, not showing, sites missing – Sometimes this issue can occur due to your graphics card drivers. Simply update your drivers and the problem should be resolved.
- Chrome most visited gone – According to users, this can happen if Chrome is out of date, but you can fix the issue by updating it to the latest version.
How do I make Google Chrome show most visited websites?
- Make sure that Chrome isn’t clearing your history
- Reinstall Google Chrome or try using a different browser
- Visit one of the websites on the Most visited list
- Update your graphics card drivers
- Make sure that the New tab page isn’t zoomed in
- Make sure that Google local NTP is enabled
- Make sure that Google Chrome is up to date
- Reset Google Chrome
1. Make sure that Chrome isn’t clearing your history
According to users, if Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, the issue might be related to your history. Some users might set Chrome not to store any history in order to protect their privacy. Although this is a useful option, by using it you’ll prevent most visited websites from showing.
To fix this problem, be sure that Chrome is allowed to create a history of visited websites. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Choose Settings from the menu.
- When the Settings tab opens, scroll all the way down and click Advanced.
- Select Content settings.
- Now pick Cookies from the list.
- Make sure that Keep local date only until you quit your browser option is disabled.
After disabling this option, Google Chrome will store cache and history on your PC and you’ll be able to see most visited websites once again.
2. Reinstall Google Chrome or try using a different browser
If you’re having issues with Google Chrome, you might be able to fix them simply by reinstalling Google Chrome. Sometimes your Chrome installation can be corrupted, and in order to fix it, you just need to reinstall it from scratch.
There are several ways to do that, but the most effective one is to use uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller.
In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software can remove any application from your PC, but it will also remove all files and registry entries associated with that application.
As a result, it will be as if the application was never installed, and there won’t be any leftover files to interfere with future installations. Once you remove Chrome, install it again and check if the problem is still there.
Revo UninstallerUninstall your browser without leaving a single trace behind with the help of this fantastic uninstaller.
If that doesn’t cut it anymore, another alternative would be to consider replacing Google Chrome altogether. There are plenty of browsers out there, and many of them are also based- on the Chromium-architecture, so familiarity wouldn’t be an issue.
One great example of such a browser is Opera. It looks and feels almost like Google Chrome, and it has an equally-large extension library.
As for visited websites, Opera automatically adjusts its most visited websites preview page as your habits change from one day to another. This way you gain quick access to all of your most-used websites from within a single page.
OperaA great-looking and lightweight browser that cleverly displays your most visited websites on the launch tab. Get it now!
3. Visit one of the websites on the Most visited list
Sometimes Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites properly. Users reported that websites are on the list, however, no the websites don’t have any thumbnails. This can be quite annoying, but the solution is simpler than you think.
Simply visit any website with a missing thumbnail by clicking it from the Most visited list. When the website opens, use it for a couple of seconds. After doing that, that website’s thumbnail should be updated in the Most visited list.
Do this for all websites on the list in order to update all of their thumbnails.
4. Update your graphics card drivers
Users reported that Google Chrome doesn’t show the most visited websites, and this can be a problem. According to them, this issue occurred because their graphics card drivers were out of date. After updating their drivers, the problem was completely resolved.
Updating the drivers is fairly simple, and you just have to find the model of your graphics card and visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver for your model. Keep in mind that if you have both dedicated and integrated graphics you’ll need to update drivers for both graphics processors.
After your drivers are up to date, the problem with most visited websites in Chrome should be resolved. Downloading drivers manually can sometimes be a bit tedious, especially if you don’t know the model of your graphics card and how to find the appropriate drivers.
However, there are tools such as iObit Driver Booster that allow you to automatically download the missing drivers. Using this tool you should be able to update all your drivers with just a couple of clicks.
iObit Driver BoosterUpdate your drivers to the latest version and keep them updated in real-time with the help of this amazing software.
5. Make sure that the New tab page isn’t zoomed in
According to users, if Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, the issue might be your zoom level. Sometimes users zoom their pages in order to see better or simply by accident. However, Google Chrome might not disable most visited websites if the New tab page is zoomed in.
To fix this problem, you just need to restore the zoom level to the default. To do that, just follow these simple steps:
- In the address bar look for the magnifier icon. In should be on the right side of your address bar.
- Now click the Reset button.
After doing that, the zoom level should be restored to the default. Alternatively, you can adjust the zoom level by holding the Ctrl key and using the mouse wheel to zoom out. After you zoom out to the default level, the issue should be resolved.
6. Make sure that Google local NTP is enabled
According to users, if Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, the problem might be the NTP feature. Users reported that they fixed the problem with most visited websites simply by enabling Google local NTP feature. This is simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Google Chrome and in the address bar enter chrome://flags and press Enter.
- Locate Enable using the Google local NTP and set it to Enabled.
After doing that, restart Chrome and the problem should be resolved. Several users reported that this solution worked for them, so you might want to try it out.
7. Make sure that Google Chrome is up to date
If Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, the problem might be related to a bug in Google Chrome. Issues with Chrome can occur once in a while, and the best way to deal with bugs is to keep Google Chrome up to date.
By default, Google Chrome automatically installs the missing updates, but you can also check for updates on your own. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Now choose Help > About Google Chrome.
- A new tab will now appear and Google will automatically download the latest updates.
Once the updates are installed, check if the problem is still there.
8. Reset Google Chrome
In some cases, Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites due to your settings or extensions. One of the ways to fix this problem is to reset Google Chrome to default. This is fairly simple to do, but before you do it, we advise you to turn on syncing so you can keep your browsing history, bookmarks, etc.
To reset Google Chrome, you just need to do the following:
- Open the Settings tab in Chrome, scroll all the way down and click on Advanced.
- Now click the Reset settings in Reset and clean up section.
- Click the Reset button.
Chrome will now reset to the default after a couple of moments. After Chrome resets to the default, your extensions, history, bookmarks, cookies, and settings will be removed. With Chrome reset to the default, check if the problem is still there.
Not being able to see your most visited websites can be a minor problem. However, we hope that you managed to fix this issue in Google Chrome by using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.