Full Fix: Google chrome doesn’t show most visited websites
Google Chrome is a great browser with millions of users, but many reported that Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites anymore. This can be an inconvenience since you won’t be able to access your favorite websites quickly. However, there’s a way to fix this issue.
Not being able to see most visited websites in Chrome can be an issue, and speaking of issues, here are some similar problems that users reported:
- Google Chrome most visited thumbnails not showing – According to users, sometimes your thumbnails might not be showing in most visited section. To fix this, simply visit the website from this section and the thumbnail should update itself.
- Chrome new tab page not showing most frequently visited pages – This issue can occur if Chrome is set not to store any cookies on your PC. Simply disable this option and your most visited websites should appear.
- Chrome frequently visited sites disappeared, not showing, sites missing – Sometimes this issue can occur due to your graphics card drivers. Simply update your drivers and the problem should be resolved.
- Chrome most visited gone – According to users, this can happen if Chrome is out of date, but you can fix the issue by updating it to the latest version.
Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, how to fix it?
- Make sure that Chrome isn’t clearing your history
- Visit one of the websites on the Most visited list
- Update your graphics card drivers
- Make sure that the New tab page isn’t zoomed in
- Make sure that Google local NTP is enabled
- Make sure that Google Chrome is up to date
- Reset Google Chrome
- Reinstall Google Chrome or try UR Browser
Solution 1 – Make sure that Chrome isn’t clearing your history
According to users, if Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, the issue might be related to your history. Some users might set Chrome not to store any history in order to protect their privacy. Although this is a useful option, by using it you’ll prevent most visited websites from showing.
To fix this problem, be sure that Chrome is allowed to create a history of visited websites. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Choose Settings from the menu.
- When the Settings tab opens, scroll all the way down and click Advanced.
- Select Content settings.
- Now pick Cookies from the list.
- Make sure that Keep local date only until you quit your browser option is disabled.
After disabling this option, Google Chrome will store cache and history on your PC and you’ll be able to see most visited websites once again.
Solution 2 – Visit one of the websites on the Most visited list
Sometimes Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites properly. Users reported that websites are on the list, however, no the websites don’t have any thumbnails. This can be quite annoying, but the solution is simpler than you think.
Simply visit any website with a missing thumbnail by clicking it from the Most visited list. When the website opens, use it for a couple of seconds. After doing that, that website’s thumbnail should be updated in the Most visited list.
Do this for all websites on the list in order to update all of their thumbnails.
Solution 3 – Update your graphics card drivers
Users reported that Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, and this can be a problem. According to them, this issue occurred because their graphics card drivers were out of date. After updating their drivers, the problem was completely resolved.
Updating the drivers is fairly simple, and you just have to find the model of your graphics card and visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver for your model. Keep in mind that if you have both dedicated and integrated graphics you’ll need to update drivers for both graphics processors.
After your drivers are up to date, the problem with most visited websites in Chrome should be resolved. Downloading drivers manually can sometimes be a bit tedious, especially if you don’t know the model of your graphics card and how to find the appropriate drivers.
However, there are tools such as TweakBit Driver Updater that allow you to automatically download the missing drivers. Using this tool you should be able to update all your drivers with just a couple of clicks.
Disclaimer: Some advanced features of this tool may not be free
Solution 4 – Make sure that the New tab page isn’t zoomed in
According to users, if Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, the issue might be your zoom level. Sometimes users zoom their pages in order to see better or simply by accident. However, Google Chrome might not disable most visited websites if the New tab page is zoomed in.
To fix this problem, you just need to restore the zoom level to the default. To do that, just follow these simple steps:
- In the address bar look for the magnifier icon. In should be on the right side of your address bar.
- Now click the Reset button.
After doing that, the zoom level should be restored to the default. Alternatively, you can adjust the zoom level by holding the Ctrl key and using the mouse wheel to zoom out. After you zoom out to the default level, the issue should be resolved.
Solution 5 – Make sure that Google local NTP is enabled
According to users, if Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, the problem might be the NTP feature. Users reported that they fixed the problem with most visited websites simply by enabling Google local NTP feature. This is simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Google Chrome and in the address bar enter chrome://flags and press Enter.
- Locate Enable using the Google local NTP and set it to Enabled.
After doing that, restart Chrome and the problem should be resolved. Several users reported that this solution worked for them, so you might want to try it out.
Solution 6 – Make sure that Google Chrome is up to date
If Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites, the problem might be related to a bug in Google Chrome. Issues with Chrome can occur once in a while, and the best way to deal with bugs is to keep Google Chrome up to date.
By default, Google Chrome automatically installs the missing updates, but you can also check for updates on your own. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Now choose Help > About Google Chrome.
- A new tab will now appear and Google will automatically download the latest updates.
Once the updates are installed, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 7 – Reset Google Chrome
In some cases, Google Chrome doesn’t show most visited websites due to your settings or extensions. One of the ways to fix this problem is to reset Google Chrome to default. This is fairly simple to do, but before you do it, we advise you to turn on syncing so you can keep your browsing history, bookmarks, etc.
To reset Google Chrome, you just need to do the following:
- Open the Settings tab in Chrome, scroll all the way down and click on Advanced.
- Now click the Reset settings in Reset and clean up section.
- Click the Reset button.
Chrome will now reset to the default after a couple of moments. After Chrome resets to the default, your extensions, history, bookmarks, cookies, and settings will be removed. With Chrome reset to the default, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 8 – Reinstall Google Chrome or try UR Browser
If you’re having issues with Google Chrome, you might be able to fix them simply by reinstalling Google Chrome. Sometimes your Chrome installation can be corrupted, and in order to fix it, you just need to reinstall it from scratch.
There are several ways to do that, but the most effective one is to use uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller. In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software can remove any application from your PC, but it will also remove all files and registry entries associated with that application.
As a result, it will be as if the application was never installed, and there won’t be any leftover files to interfere with future installations. Once you remove Chrome, install it again and check if the problem is still there.
If the problem is still there even after reinstalling Chrome, you really should try browser we highly recommend called UR Browser. UR Browser, based on the open-source Chromium platform, has everything Chrome has, but it’s a privacy and safety oriented web browser. In regards to loading speed, it’s much faster due to the fact it prevents background scripts from loading on web pages.
The interface is a story on its own, considering that the Moods feature allows you to keep your favorite websites in different categories and News section provides you with curated news from trusted sources. Customization with themes or wallpapers and 12 search engines available with 1 click are what should interest you, as well.
Give UR Browser a try and see for yourself how a small-market browser surpasses Chrome with ease.
Not being able to see your most visited websites can be a minor problem. However, we hope that you managed to fix this issue in Google Chrome by using one of our solutions.
- Fix corrupt Chrome profile in Windows 10
- Fix: Keyboard not working in Google Chrome
- FIX: Mouse wheel won’t work on Chrome in Windows 10, 8.1
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2018 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Some Xbox One users reported experiencing an issue while trying to update installed apps. The updates come to a halt while being blocked by a […]
Some users reported experiencing a peculiar issue with Origin. Upon opening the app, they get to a blank page, Origin not being able to load […]
Many Steam users experienced issues with Valve’s online gaming platform. A frustrating issue forcing the Steam client to go offline randomly left gamers in the […]