If you were trying to perform a recovery of your installation of Windows 10 and see the hard drive locked error message, you should know you are not the only one experiencing this issue.
The good news is that you can do something about this issue, and beyond this, you found the right article to help you solve it.
Seeing this error message may make you believe that you lost the data stored on your PC, or that you need to reinstall Windows altogether. That is surely not the case.
Please read on to find out how to proceed in order for the recovery process to be completed without errors.
Fix hard drive locked Windows 10 recovery errors
- Click Cancel on the error message -> the computer will boot to the Windows 10 Recovery Environment.
- Click on Troubleshoot -> select Advanced options.
- On the Advanced options screen -> click the Command Prompt.
- Inside the Command Prompt window, type the following commands and press Enter for each of them:
- bootrec /FixMbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /RebuiltBcd
Note: After entering some of the commands mentioned above, you might be presented with a menu allowing you to choose Yes <y>; No<n>; and All<a>.
In order to continue with the rebuild process, you should choose Yes <y> for all prompts, then do this:
- Type Exit and press Enter to close the command prompt window.
- Your computer will now restart and should allow the repair process to be completed without error messages.
- If the problem still persists after applying these steps, you can contact the manufacturer of your device for technical support.
In today’s short article we explore the best method to solve the hard drive locked error during Windows 10 recovery process.
Please make sure to follow the steps carefully to avoid any other issues.
Feel free to let us know if this guide helped you by using the comment section found below this article.
- How to fix the Hyper-V Error applying hard drive changes
- Fix permission issues on external hard drive with these solutions
- Recover product key from an unbootable hard drive [HOW TO]