- If Viber isn't opening on your Windows PC, using the built-in troubleshooter can help.
- Using administrative privileges or resetting the app is one way to fix this problem.
- Make sure that your firewall or antivirus software isn't interfering with the app.
Viber is a popular instant messaging app that is available on multiple platforms and but many reported that Viber is not opening on Windows 10/11.
However, some users can’t always open the Viber app when a This app can’t open error arises for it. That’s not an entirely unusual error for UWP apps.
Many other cross-platform chat apps suffer from similar issues, but luckily, there is a way to fix them, and in today’s guide we’re going to show you how to do it.
Why Viber won’t open on desktop?
There are multiple causes for this issue, and in most cases, there’s a glitch with the software. In some instances, a lack of certain privileges will prevent you from using the software.
If Viber keeps crashing while trying to open it, there might be problems with your cache, so you’ll need to reset the app.
Your firewall and antivirus can also interfere with the software, and block it from accessing the Internet.
How can I fix Viber if not opening in Windows 10/11?
1. Open the Windows Store App Troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + S.
- Input troubleshoot in the search box, and click Troubleshoot settings.
- Navigate to View additional troubleshooters.
- Select the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter listed. Click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- The troubleshooter will open and it might detect and fix some app issues that stop Viber opening.
2. Run Viber as an Administrator
3. Reset Viber
- Press Windows key + X and select Apps & Features.
- Select Viber on the list and click on Advanced options.
- Press the Reset button, and the click Reset again to further confirm.
4. Reinstall Viber
- Press Windows key + X and select Apps and Features.
- Now select Viber and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
- Once the application is removed, install it again.
The Windows app removal utility may leave behind some Viber files and registry entries. We suggest you use CCleaner to find and remove them so you can have a fresh, error-free reinstall.
5. Reset the MS Store Cache
- Press Windows key + R.
- Enter wsreset.
- Press Enter.
- A Command Prompt window will briefly open to reset the MS Store cache.
- Thereafter, restart Windows.
6. Modify hosts file
- Press Windows key + S and type notepad. Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator to launch it.
- Click File and then Open.
- Then navigate to the following directory:
- Change Text Documents to All files and select hosts.
- Then add 127.0.0.1 ads.viber.com to the last line of the hosts file.
- Save changes.
7. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
- Press Windows key + S and type firewall. Choose Windows Defender Firewall.
- Select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Now select Turn off Windows Defender Firewall for both types of connections and click OK.
Check if the problem is still there. If the issue doesn’t appear anymore, it means that your firewall was blocking the application, so enable the firewall and adjust your settings accordingly.
In addition, turn off any third-party antivirus utilities that might also include firewalls. Right-click an antivirus utility’s system tray icon to select a disable or turn off option on its context menu.
Alternatively, open the software’s primary window to select a turn-off or disable option within its settings menu or tab.
How can I fix Viber if it’s not opening on Windows 11?
Although the solutions presented above are for Windows 10, all of them should work on the latest version as well.
When it comes to software, the two operating systems are rather similar, so the solutions from this guide can be used on both operating systems.
It’s important to mention that not only Windows platforms suffer from this issue and many reported that Viber is not opening on Mac as well.
The above fixes might kick-start Viber. Some of those resolutions might also fix other UWP apps that don’t start.
If the problem is still here, we suggest reading our can’t open Universal apps on Windows guide to see how to properly fix this issue.
What solution did you use to fix this problem? Let us know in the comments section below.