Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Hyper-V is one of the most popular virtualization tools that allows you to use multiple OS on one machine.
- Running multiple operating systems on the same device can end up in a loss of data.
- A good Hyper-V backup utility is mandatory, so feel free to take a closer look at our top picks below.
Every time a Windows user runs more than two operating systems virtually on the same piece of hardware there is a potential chance for loss of data or services. Hence the need for backup software for Hyper-V.
Why do I need Hyper-V backup tools? Loss of data means a drop in a considerable amount of revenue and standing. Why should anyone, for that matter, want to suffer that risk when they can get a backup solution that allows for the restoration of info in a fitting manner?
Different Hyper-V backup tools have different features. Some are strong and unique; others are plain weak. In order to make an informed choice, take a look at our top picks below.
What are the best Hyper-V backup software tools?
Vembu HyperV – Best Hyper-V VM backup & restoration
If you’re looking for an agentless VM backup & replication for Hyper-V standalone hosts and cluster servers, Vembu HyperV is the tool you’re looking for.
With this smart solution, you can backup Hyper-V virtual machines running on local storage, Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV), SMB share – Standalone File Server, Storage Spaces Direct (S2D), and Clustered File Server & Scale-Out File Server (SOFS).
And after you have performed a full backup, Vembu uses the Resilient Change Tracking (RCT) technology to make incremental backups for Hyper-V virtual machines running on Windows Server 2016 and above.
However, if you have a Hyper-V VM running on Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, or 2008 R2, Vembu performs incremental backups using their proprietary Changed Block Tracking driver.
Of course, this tool also provides a full range of recovery options. For instance, it instantly restores individual files and folders without restoring the entire VM.
It even ensures granular restoration of application items such as Microsoft Active Directory, SQL, Exchange, and SharePoint without the need to restore the complete image.
Let’s go through some of the key features of Vembu:
- Agentless VM backup & replication for Hyper-V servers
- Full range of recovery options, including for individual files or application items
- Restore the backed-up VMs to the same or different Hyper-V hosts when the source VM fails
- Flexibility to migrate Hyper-V VMs to other hypervisors
- Built-in AES 256-bit encryption for backup data security
Vembu HyperVBack-up and recover any of your Hyper-V machines and protect your data with the highest level of encryption!
Acronis Cyber Backup – Quick back-up and recovery
If you frequently work within a Windows Server Environment, then you know about the importance of backing up and keeping your data safe.
That being said, it goes without saying that you will be probably looking for the best software tool available that works in that direction.
Acronis Cyber Backup is one such tool, and the best part is that, with just a few simple steps, you can back up data to the storage location of your choice.
Additionally, this powerful tool is capable of recovering individual files, applications, or a complete system in mere seconds.
Of course, all types of servers are supported, including those that are virtual, physical, and cloud.
Here are some Acronis Cyber Backup key features that you are about to enjoy:
- Easy to use
- Offers a 30-day free trial period
- Efficient server backup and protection features
- Works with physical, virtual, or cloud-based servers
- Can recover individual files, applications, or a complete system
Acronis Cyber BackupAs the best Hyper-V backup software, Acronis Cyber Backup is totally worthy of your attention. Don’t hesitate to give it a try!
Paragon is a free backup software for Hyper-V with an unquestionable two-decade experience in data safety and recovery practices.
Small and medium businesses together with freelancers are able to efficiently spread out and administer storage resources in three easy-to-use steps.
All you need to do is download and install the tool, restart your computer, create a new file or partition, and then back up your data.
While the ordinary version of Paragon Backup works just fine, its paid service is capable of a whole lot more. Discover what other features come in handy from purchasing the premium backup and recovery software.
Paragon Backup key features that you are about to enjoy:
- WinPE flexible restore – The WinPE environment allows for flexibility to put back data based on what the user needs; restoring an entire disk is as acceptable as restoring only parts of it
- Recovery media (WinPE-based) – Create a recovery environment, savable in bootable media such as a USB or CD drive; this way, data is safe and secure, even with a corrupted OS
- Differential backup – A data preservation feature that dwells on saving up on storage space through smart selection
- Intelligent automation lets users schedule their own backups based on chosen triggers
Paragon BackupParagon Backup has proved reputable in Hyper-V backup and restoration. Eager to give it a try?
NovaBACKUP – Simple and reliable tool
Executing backups can be a time-consuming task. If only there was a way to protect valuable data without having to deal with the tussle of doing so.
NovaStor, a provider of data security solutions created NovaBACKUP. Like any other backup software for Hyper-V on this list, NovaBACKUP is a scalable and reliable software that meets the needs and requirements of the user.
What sets it apart though, is its configurable solutions that can be adjusted to match the user’s budget and particular necessities.
NovaBACKUP key features:
- NovaBACKUP works 4x faster than its closest competitor; this turns the software into a virtual bullet
- The image-level or file-level backup options
- Support for cloud saving services such as Google Drive and Dropbox
- Disaster recovery (Image backup)
- Server, PC, and VM backups
- Full, differential, and incremental backups
Nova BackupKeep all your data protected with fast custom backups and Google Drive and Dropbox support.
Veeam Backup & Replication – Fast incremental back-up
Microsoft’s Hyper-V is a revolutionary virtualization tool although not invincible. Some physical workstations and servers refuse to be virtualized.
These have demanding regulatory compliance requirements and complicated hardware structures. As such, incidents such as file corruption and hardware failures are inevitable. They leave data to exposure.
Veeam Backup and Replication mitigates such occurrences. The software bridges the gap between large different environments.
Incremental backups succeed as a primary backup in a fast process that works towards saving as much storage as possible.
Compare the free and paid versions to determine which best fits your virtual environment.
Veeam Backup key features:
- User-friendly interface
- No installation and management requirements whatsoever
- Tape library for auxiliary saving
- Create a scheduled backup
- Premium support team
Altaro Hyper-V Backup – Great for VM back-up
The free version of the Altaro VM backup takes preference over its two paid versions on any day.
This is with respect to an increasing number of Hyper-V users that are in search of keen and live backups to fit their cheap to no budgetary plans.
The Altaro VM backup works with a maximum of 2 virtual machines. It uses reverse delta and compression for backup.
It also accepts applications accordant with Hyper-V VSS Writers such as SQL and Exchange Server.
Let’s see some of its best features:
- Simple and easy to use
- Works with a maximum of 2 VMs
- Reverse delta and compression for backup
- Cloud-based client, accessible from any location
Nakivo – Great for backup and replication
NAKVIO Backup & Replication was built speciffically for virtual environments. It is a fast, affordable, VM backup solution for multiple virtualization environments.
That includes VMware vSphere, VMware Cloud Director, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Nutanix AHV among others.
The solution doesn’t cover only virtual machines, but also cloud, physical, SaaS and hybrid environments, all from a centralized web interface.
You can install it on NAS, Windows, Linux or as a pre-configured VMware vSphere or Nutanix AHV VA and you will be able to get your first VM backup in just a few minutes.
And the best part is that NAKVIO only requires 2 cores and 4 GB of RAM for full deployment and to start running backups.
Don’t worry, your data will be safe because you can encrypt it in transit and at rest using AES-256 encryption. As for the access to the solution itself, the two-factor authentication (2FA) method is golden.
Let’s review some of its most important features:
- Over 9 recovery options
- Image-based, incremental, app-aware backups of VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Nutanix AHV VMs
- Only 5 minutes to deploy and configure
- 2X faster if you install it on a NAS
- Send backups directly to cloud platforms
Iperius Backup – Very affordable
Iperius Backup is a complete and affordable backup software for Hyper-V that performs hot VM backups. It then copies them to NAS, tape devices, or across the network in an automatic rhythm.
Do note that users can back up with synchronization or compression, copy locked files, and perform an online backup to the cloud and FTP.
Iperius Backup key features:
- Lightweight software tool with a rich choice of options
- Save unlimited VMs in a network and execute a bunch of other backup types
- Integrated utility – wealthy diversification network
- Copy any in-use or locked file allowing for an uninterrupted backup for Hyper-V
- Restore on different hosts with incremental backups
- Versatile agentless solution
The above backup software options for Hyper-V including Paragon, Veeam, Altaro, NovaBACKUP, and Iperius are highly innovative and flexible.
They have been made just right, for the most complex enterprise environments. With these, users can now worry less about the safety of their data and focus their attention on other endeavors.
If you want to learn more about Hyper-V, check our dedicated article on how Client Hyper V works in Windows 10.
Which solution did you choose? Let us know about your preference in the comments section below.