- There are various ways you can install printer drivers in Windows 7, so take a look at our article.
- As expected, you can utilize third-party software to install printer drivers in no time.
- To install local printers in Windows 7, you may also use the handy built-in printer wizard.
- Users can easily install printer drivers by taking advantage of the platform’s built-in device utility.
Windows 7 still has a big user even though Microsoft no longer supports it. Even though it’s an older platform, you can still install printer drivers in Windows 7 much the same as 10.
Although you can’t install a new printer driver with Settings in Windows 7, that platform still includes the Control Panel.
Users need to both install drivers for new printers and update them for old ones. These are the various ways you can install drivers for newly purchased printers and install the latest drivers for printers within Windows 7.
How can I install printer drivers in Windows 7?
1. Use a reliable driver updater tool
If you want to check if there are newer drivers to install for your printer, run a driver updater software scan. A driver updater scan will show you what devices on your PC have outdated drivers. Then you can download and install the latest driver for your printer with the driver updater utility.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The software will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer create any problems if you download and use this powerful software today.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Take advantage of the Add Printer wizard
- Click the Windows 7 Start button.
- Enter Control Panel within the search box on Windows 7’s Start menu.
- Then click Control Panel to open that window.
- Select Large icons on the View by menu.
- Next, click Devices and Printers to open the applet shown directly below.
- Press the Add a printer option to open the window in the screenshot directly below.
- Select the Add a printer option if you don’t have a USB printer.
- For a wireless or Bluetooth printer, select the Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer option. Note that your Bluetooth or wireless printer will need to be turned on when you select that option.
- If you selected the first option, you’ll need to select the Use existing port setting and choose an appropriate port on the drop-down menu. Then click the Next button.
- Thereafter, select your printer’s manufacturer and a driver to install for it on the right of the window.
- Press the Next button to proceed to the last step of the wizard.
- Enter a name for your printer in the text box.
- Click Next to install the drivers.
- Thereafter, you can skip over optional printer sharing settings; and click the Finish button.
Most of the printers released over the last three years or so are probably USB ones. Drivers for USB printers get automatically installed when users plug the printers into PCs.
The method above is more applicable for installing drivers for older printers or wireless ones.
3. Update printer drivers with Device Manager
- Open Run in Windows 7 with the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Type this command into Run:
- Click OK to open Device Manager.
- Double-click the Printers category.
- Right-click your listed printer and select the Update driver option.
- Select the Search automatically for drivers option in the window shown directly below.
- Windows might then download and install a new driver for your printer.
4. Download printer drivers from manufacturer websites
- You might find there is a newer driver available for your printer on the printer manufacturer’s website. To check, open your printer manufacturer’s website in a browser.
- Open the driver download section of the printer manufacturer’s website.
- Enter your printer’s model within the search box on the website, and click the Search button.
- Then browse through the list of driver downloads for your printer, and select to download the latest compatible driver for it.
- Thereafter, open the folder you downloaded the printer driver to.
- Click the installer.exe file for your downloaded printer driver to install it.
5. Install drivers with a DVD that came with the printer
DVDs are in obsolescence, and most USB printers probably don’t come with driver discs these days. If your printer does happen to have a driver installation DVD, however, insert that disc into your PC’s CD/DVD drive.
When you insert it, an installation wizard will probably then automatically open. So, there are a few different ways you can install PC drivers in Windows 7.
For driver update purposes, you can utilize driver updater software and Device Manager or manually download and install new ones. Let us know your choice in the comments area below.