- The Windows 10 invalid_io_boost_state error is often related to problematic external hard drives.
- That’s why ejecting these hard drives seems like an inspired step that you can follow right away.
- Moreover, the invalid_io_boost_state BSoD error may be caused by the automatic shutdown feature. Stopping it by completing our procedure takes mere seconds.
- You can also choose to update your operating system. This will certainly fix such issues in no time.
The invalid_io_boost_state error message is often encountered by Windows 10 users. It falls under the BSoD error categories and it has the bugcheck value 0x0000013C, causing the system to restart.
One of the main causes of this error is related to drivers. Others include missing updates, software activities, malware and virus attacks, as well asmemory issues.
Users have complained about this issue on Microsoft forums:
I have been suffering from a BSOD which appears to occur at random intervals, and I have found my efforts to debug with WinDbg to be fruitless.
I would appreciate if someone with more experience would take a look for me and provide some suggestions.
We have prepared several solutions in this regard that will allow you you to solve this error. Visit the following section to find them all right away.
How to fix the invalid_io_boost_state error?
1. Stop the automatic shutdown feature
- Right-click This PC, choose Properties.
- Select Advanced System Settings.
- Click on the Settings tab and navigate to System failure.
- Deselect the Automatically restart checkbox, and click OK.
This solution allows you to block the automatic restart Windows feature. Be careful and save your work before following these steps and close the active programs and applications you used.
The occasional automatic shutdown takes place when your computer has encountered serious system failures.
Even if the computer prevents damages from happening, you may lose any unsaved data or your work in progress.
2. Eject your external hard drives
The invalid_io_boost_state error will sometimes be related to problematic external hard drives. Thus, if you disconnect this piece of hardware, the issue will be solved.
You must first detach and then remove every external hardware device from your computer. After the removal has ended, close all running applications and restart your computer.
3. Update Windows 10
- Click on the Windows button and choose Settings.
- Navigate to Update & Security and choose Windows Update.
- Click on the Check for updates button.
- Click on every patch available, then select Download.
- Install updates and restart your computer.
With the patches now applied, the invalid_io_boost_state blue screen error should be gone too. This solution is essential to avoid any system failure on your computer.
To prevent the appearance of various errors, note that Microsoft releases patches every month. Do not hesitate to update your operating system on a monthly basis.
When your PC has been reverted to its default settings, this will also allow it to automatically obtain the new cumulative updates.
There are chances you might have blocked these updates. By using this solution, your error should disappear.
4. Boot your computer using Safe Mode
- Open the Start menu, navigate to Settings.
- Select Update & Security.
- Click on Recovery and find the Advanced Startup option.
- Select Restart now, and after the reboot navigate to Troubleshoot.
- Click on Startup options and choose Startup Settings.
- Select Enable Safe Mode in the next screen and click on Restart.
- After reboot, sign back in and press F4 to enter Safe Mode.
This solution explains how to boot your computer in Safe Mode to solve the Windows 10 invalid _io_boost_state. When you access Safe Mode, that will allow your operating system to load only basic applications.
There are chances this error was caused by additional apps you may have installed or if you have applied some choices in advanced settings. Boot your computer in Safe Mode using these steps and your error should disappear.
5. Detect and clean malware with Windows Security
- Click on Start, navigate to Settings and click on Update & Security.
- Launch Windows Security, choose Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Scan, choose Full Scan, and then click on Scan now.
- After the scanning process has ended, select Clean threats.
- Click on Remove and then click on Start actions.
We recommend this solution as malware can sometimes cause the Windows 10 invalid _io_boost_state.
Such files will usually cause loss of files, determine programs to function improperly, or provoke automatic shutdowns.
Windows Security is your operating system’s feature that eliminates malware. Follow the above-mentioned steps to clean your computer of harmful files and prevent invalid io boost state error to occur again.
6. Update your device drivers
- Press Windows key + R to open Run and type in devmgmt.msc.
- Click OK, search for devices with a yellow exclamation mark.
- Click on that device and expand it.
- Right-click on each of its drivers and choose Update driver.
- Confirm update.
If you have more than one device with the yellow exclamation mark, then repeat the steps 2-5 for every one of them. There are instances where outdated drivers will cause the appearance of invalid io boost state bsod errors.
For this reason, we consider that just as you update your operating system, the same importance you must give to updating your drivers.
What is an invalid_io_boost_state error? Which are the causes? As you can see, the lines above include precise answers to these questions and guaranteed solutions.
Even more, do note that you can solve this issue by using various BSOD professional applications.
Read carefully our previous section, apply our recommended tips, and leave us a comment to tell us about your experience.