Fix: Just Cause 2 Problems on Windows 10
Just Cause 2 is an open world action game, and probably one of the most action-packed games for Windows 10. Unfortunately, certain issues can prevent Just Cause 2 from running properly, so let’s tackle those issues.
Fix Just Cause 2 Issues On Windows 10
Fix – Just Cause 2 crashing
Solution 1 – Turn off decals / bokeh
Just Cause 2 is a demanding game, and sometimes crashes can be caused by game’s video settings. Many users have reported that turning off decals and/or bokeh from game’s video settings fixes crashing issues, so make sure that you try that.
Solution 2 – Run the game in compatibility mode
If Just Cause 2 is crashing on your PC, you can try running the game in compatibility mode. According to users, this method has been successful, so feel free to try it. To run Just Cause 2 in compatibility mode, do the following:
- Find game’s shortcut (or .exe file) and right-click it. Choose Properties from the list.
- Navigate to Compatibility tab, check Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose an older version of Windows, for example, Windows 7. You might have to try several different options before you find the one that works for you.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
If you encounter crashes, freezes, slowdowns and other issues while playing, we recommend you to download Game Fire (free).. This game booster will focus your computer resources and processes on the game without overclocking your hardware.
Solution 3 – Remove Xbox app
Xbox app can sometimes cause crashes with Just Cause 2, therefore, users are suggesting to remove Xbox app. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and type Powershell. Right-click Windows Powershell and choose Run as administrator.
- When Powershell opens, paste the following and press Enter to run it:
- Wait for the process to complete and close Powershell.
Solution 4 – Add dxadapter launch option
In order to fix Just Cause 2 crashing issues, it advised that you add dxadapter launch option. To do that, follow these steps:
- Start Steam, go to your Library and right click Just Cause 2. Choose Properties from the menu.
- In General tab click on Set launch options button.
- Enter /dxadapter=0 or /dxadapter=1 and save changes.
- Try running the game again.
Solution 5 – Use Nvidia Inspector
Users have reported that using Nvidia Inspector fixes Just Cause 2 crashes, so it might be a good idea that you try it. To fix this issue using Nvidia Inspector, do the following:
- Download Nvidia Inspector from here.
- Open Nvidia Inspector and click the button to the right of Driver version.
- From the profile menu choose Just Cause 2.
- Scroll down until you find Shim Rendering Mode Options per application for Optimus.
- Click the text on the right, and select SHIM_RENDERING_OPTIONS_DEFAULT_RENDERING_MODE.
- Click Apply changes.
- Run the game.
Keep in mind that Nvidia Inspector is an overclocking tool, so use it at your own risk.
Solution 6 – Turn off Raptr app
Just Cause 2 crashes can be caused by Raptr app, so if you’re using this application, make sure that you disable it before you start Just Cause 2.
Solution 7 – Replace d3dx10_42.dll
Sometimes your files can get corrupt, and this can lead to Just Cause 2 crashes. Users have reported that d3dx10_42.dll can sometimes get corrupted and cause Just Cause 2 to crash. If you’re having a similar problem, we advise you to download d3dx10_42.dll and replace the corrupted file.
We also recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) that can fix corrupted .dlls. It will also fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware, and hardware failure.
Solution 8 – Disable Xfire overlay
If Just Cause 2 is crashing on your computer, it might be due to Xfire. Users have reported that after disabling Xfire in-game all crashing issues were resolved.
Solution 9 – Delete main.ncf file
Few users have reported deleting main.ncf file has fixed Just Cause 2 crashing issues, so let’s see how to delete this file:
- Make sure that Steam isn’t running.
- Go to your Steam installation directory and switch to steamapps folder. By default, the location of the steamapps folder should be C:Program Files (x86)Steamsteamapps.
- Go to Just Cause 2 directory, find main.ncf file and delete it.
- Start Steam. You will be asked to install Just Cause 2. Download the necessary files and run the game again.
Solution 10 – Switch to windowed mode
Another workaround for Just Cause 2 crashes is to run the game in windowed mode. Several users have reported that switching to windowed mode has fixed crashing issues, so be sure that you try that.
Solution 11 – Install DirectX
Sometimes Just Cause 2 crashes can be caused by DirectX, and if you’re having crashes, you’re advised to reinstall DirectX. To reinstall DirectX, just do the following:
- Go to Just Cause 2 installation directory. By default, it should be C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonJust Cause 2.
- Open DirectX folder and run dxsetup.exe.
Solution 12 – Add /frameratecap=30 /filmgrain=0 launch options
Users suggest that adding /frameratecap=30 /filmgrain=0 launch options to Just Cause 2 has fixed crashing issues. We have already explained how to add launch options, so make sure that you check Solution 4 for detailed instructions.
Solution 13 – Verify game cache, turn off antivirus real-time scanning
If Just Cause 2 is crashing on your computer, make sure to verify game’s cache. To do that, follow these steps:
- Start Steam and find Just Cause 2 in your game library. Right-click Just Cause 2 and choose Properties.
- Go to Local files tab and click Verify integrity of game cache button.
- Wait for the process to complete and try running the game again.
If this doesn’t work, you should temporarily disable your antivirus real-time scanning and see if that helps.
Fix – Just Cause 2 not starting
Solution 1 – Delete Square Enix folder
If Just Cause 2 isn’t starting on your PC, you can try deleting Square Enix folder. This folder should be located in Documents folder, and after you’ve deleted it, restart Steam and try running the game again.
Solution 2 – Install the game on a local hard drive
Solution 3 – Install Download Visual C++ Redistributable
Problems with Just Cause 2 can be caused by missing files, and if that’s the case, you should check the integrity of game cache. In addition, make sure that you install all necessary Visual C++ Redistributable files. To install the necessary files, go to Just Cause 2 installation directory and locate vcredist folder. Run setup file from that folder and follow the instructions.
- Read also: Top 5+ game booster software for Windows 10
Fix – Just Cause 2 freezes
Solution 1 – Launch the game from installation directory
If Just Cause 2 freezes on your computer, try running the game from its installation directory. To do so, navigate to game’s directory and run justcause2.exe.
Solution 2 – Move your game to a different hard drive
Players have reported that Just Cause 2 freezes and gets stuck on the splash screen, so in order to fix this problem, you’re advised to move Just Cause 2 installation directory to a different hard drive. To do this, just find Just Cause 2 installation directory, cut it, and paste it to a different hard drive. If you don’t have two hard drives, try moving Just Cause 2 folder to a different hard drive partition or to a root directory of your hard drive.
Solution 3 – Update your graphics card drivers
In most cases, issues with freezes are caused by your graphics card drivers, so maybe you should update them. To do that, visit your graphics card manufacturer and download the latest drivers for your GPU.
Downloading and installing the wrong driver version will cause permanent damage to your system. We strongly recommend using TweakBit Driver Updater (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download and update all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Disclaimer: Some features of this tool are not free.
Fix – Just Cause 2 graphics glitch
Solution 1 – Disable Vsync
Users have reported that some cutscenes are slow and out of sync. Although we don’t know what is the cause of this issue, we suggest that you lower your graphics options to the minimum. Few users have reported that disabling Vsync has fixed this issue for them, so feel free to try that as well.
Solution 2 – Update your drivers, verify game cache and check the temperature
In some cases graphical glitches can appear if your drivers are out of date, so make sure that you update them regularly. If the problem persists, verify the integrity of game cache. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, check if your graphics card is overheating.
Manually updating drivers is a long and annoying process. Thus, we recommend using a dedicated tool to automatically update your drivers. Download TweakBit Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton), it automatically identifies each device on your computer and matches it with the latest driver versions from an extensive online database.
Solution 3 – Disable Steam Overlay
Users have reported that they are getting the strange red overlay, and as far as we know, this issue is related to Steam Overlay. To disable Steam Overlay, do the following:
- Start Steam and go to Steam Settings.
- Click on In-Game settings and uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
- Save changes and try running the game again.
We have covered some of the most common Just Cause 2 problems that have been reported by users, and if you have any of these issues, don’t hesitate to try our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2016 and has been completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 April Update causes loop reboots or crashes on Intel SSDs
- Fix: Stutter in Games Caused by Diagnostics Policy Service
- Full Fix: Games Crash in Windows 10, 8,1, 7
Microsoft rolled out a new series of cumulative updates for three Windows 10 versions: v1709, v1703 and v1607. The updates don’t come with any security fixes this […]
Friday the 13th: The Game brings Jason back. As a player, you’ll take either on the role of Jason Voorhees, or that of a Camp Crystal […]