KB4046355 removes Windows Media Player from PC
Many users reported that the Windows 10 update KB4046355 removes Windows Media Player from the operating system.
KB4046355 aka FeatureOnDemandMediaPlayer
The update was rolled out to the latest Windows 10 Creators Update Insider version, but not to all devices running the beta version of the Fall Creators Update. We can’t tell for sure if this happened by accident and if this will have an impact on devices that are running stable versions of Windows 10 as well.
Insiders first reported this problem on Reddit a few days ago, but Microsoft has yet to issue any comments.
After the update the WMP is completely gone, the “C:Program Files (x86)Windows Media Player” folder only has a “wmp.dll” file. Currently on build 16299.0
The change might turn out shocking for Windows Media Player users
This change may turn out not to be a problem for Windows users who run third-party media players such as the VLC Media Player, but it might cause a shock for users who have invested in Windows Media Player. The reason is that the update removes Windows Media Player from the device (along with context menu entries and all files), but you will be able to install it again.
Installing Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player will also be available on systems running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, but it will not come installed by default.
To install Windows Media Player on your system, you can use the manage optional features page of the OS, and you can bring back the functionality along with the change.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Apps – Apps & features – and click on manage optional features.
- Select the Add a feature option > scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page that opens. Here, you should be able to find Windows Media Player listed as an optional feature. Click on it and press the install button.
- Wait for about 10-20 seconds for the app to install.
After the installation, Windows Media Player will be available again on your device.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Music/Video error 0xc00d36c4 on Windows 10
- Fix: Media Streaming not working on Windows 10
- How to fix Windows 10 audio error 0xc00d11d1 (0xc00d4e86)
Snipping Tool in Windows OS is a handy little utility that you can access by pressing the Windows + Shift + S shortcut key on […]
The master decryption keys for GandCrab ransomware are now available for all PC users. These keys can be used to decrypt GandCrab versions 4 to […]