Users are complaining about KB4524147 as they consider it more of a hack job rather than an actual patch that fixes something.
Long story short, they are complaining that KB4524147 is causing problems with:
- Print Spooler crashes
- Ironically, KB4524147 was supposed to fix print spooler issues
- Start Menu crashes
- Older JScript-based program bugs
- The inability to type in Cortana’s search box
- The inability to run VMWare
- Their PCs not booting at all.
An improvement that made Windows 10 worse
Users on Reddit went on to vent their frustration regarding this latest patch:
Some of our workstations got the KB4524147 update last night and got multiple calls this morning about printing not working. Spooler service keeps crashing. Uninstalled the update and printing working again. This has got to be a joke from MS.
As far as the printing issue is concerned, users that had the problem say that it isn’t fixed, while those that were unaffected say that they have it now.
Of course, this is nothing compared to the Start Menu error that came along with KB4524147. apparently, they would get a Critical Error message and would not work at all.
Microsoft remmends simply logging out and back in again as a solution for this issue, but users are still not pleased.
Many users on the Microsoft forums pretty much agree that it is better off to just uninstall KB4524147 altogether, as the headaches that come with it are not worth it.
However, the Microsoft community is now conflicted between two difficult choices:
- Uninstalling KB4524147 will spare them the printer and Start menu issues
- Uninstalling KB4524147 will also expose them to outside attackers that can take advantage of a certain security vulnerability discovered recently.
In the aftermath of user complaints, Microsoft has quietly reissued the updates for KB4524147 as October 4 updates.
More so, they claim to have fixed andy security issues and have removed all known vulnerabilities.
As such, they urge the general population to update their Windows 10 PCs as soon as possible so that they can take advantage of the new features.
RELATED ARTICLES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- How to uninstall Windows 10 Update Assistant
- Windows 10 gets silent security patch to deal with SWAPGS vulnerability
- Windows 10 uninstalls problematic updates to avoid startup failures