- Failed to install add-on from zip file is a frequently encountered error on Kodi media players.
- There are a few simple solutions to it and we're exploring them in the article below.
- If you're a fan of this popular media player, we encourage you to go to our website and bookmark our separate Kodi section for easy access.
- Additionally, we have a good selection of articles from the entertainment industry in our Streaming Hub.
A great number of Kodi media player users stumbled upon yet another installation error, namely Failed to install add-on from zip file.
The error appears to occur only with the latest Kodi version, and only when trying to install a Kodi build. The problem is that these builds are necessary in order for Kodi to work properly.
Luckily, there are a few simple methods that one can go through in order to solve the problem.
How to fix Kodi error Failed to install addon from zip file?
1.Install zip file locally and retry build installation
- Open the Settings menu.
- Go to System Settings > Logging.
- From the right menu select Show event log and see exactly what file the player failed to install.
- Google-search the file.
- You will most probably find a .zip file in GitHub.
- Download the file on your device.
- Then go back to the Kodi home screen > Add-ons > click on the package icon.
- Click on Install from zip file > find your downloaded file.
Some users reported that downloading the zip file locally took a very long time, but in the end, the build installation was successful.
2. Create a temp folder
Another easy solution to the zip installation problem was to create a temp file inside the Kodi package.
Users who have tried this mentioned that they also checked the error log files as explained above and that the error message specifically said to create this file. According to the reports, the file path should look like this:
After creating the file, repeat the installation process , and see if it goes through.
For Adroid devices, open Settings >Apps > Kodi > Clear Cache > click and confirm.
For smart TV/ Fire TV Stick, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > Kodi > Clear Cache.
If you’re using the desktop version on Windows OS, we recommend that you use specific software to clean temporary or unwanted files, such as CCleaner. You can download the CCleaner free version from here.
Clearing the cache has proven to be a very good option in most cases, and effective not just for this particular situation, but also to keep your device up&running smoothly.
4. Uninstall and re-install Kodi app
This is just as a side solution, and hopefully an unnecessary one. But if the initial installation is faulty, you’ll keep having problems with the program so it’s better to have a clean copy.
Many users jump straight to this step, just to be sure that they have the latest version and a good one, but it’s worth giving a try to the other ones as well.
So these are our easy solutions. If you have another suggestion on how to fix the Failed to install add-on from zip file error on Kodi, please share it with us in the comments section below.
FAQ: Read more about Kodi
- How do I install a zip file on Kodi?
To install a zip file on Kodi you should first know the URL where the file is located and add it as source in the File Manager.
- How do you install an add on Kodi?
Simply visit the Kodi addon repository and choose from the many add-ons located there.
- How do I add a repository to Kodi?
To add a repository on Kodi, open type in the URL of the repository you want to install in the File Manager.