Although the Minecraft Launcher is programmed to be self-updating, there are occasions when it fails and instead displays the following error message: An update to your launcher is available. In most cases, the game won’t even launch after this message appears on the screen.
Fortunately, there are a few fixes that can help you to fix this problem. We will take you through them so that you may quickly fix this problem and resume playing.
What to do if Minecraft Launcher needs updating
1. Restart Minecraft
In most cases, restarting the game helps solve this issue. You simply close the game and you launch it again. Minecraft will attempt to connect to the server and download the required launcher updates before fully launching.
If all goes well, the game should successfully load and since you will be effectively running a new launcher.
This is typically the solution for users running an older Java-based launcher.
2. Force update Minecraft
If your launcher won’t yet open, try to force-update Minecraft.
- Start your Minecraft Launcher.
- Click on Options right next to the Username
- Select the box next to Force update under the Launch Options
- Click Done then login with your usual Minecraft credentials. Minecraft should soon start updating itself.
During the process, Minecraft fetches the newest launcher updates online to help overcome the bug.
3. Uninstall your launcher then reinstall
If restarting the launcher and forcing the update doesn’t get rid of the irritating warning, try to download the Minecraft Launcher afresh.
- Hold the Windows and X keys simultaneously.
- On the menu that pops up, click on Programs and Features.
- Locate the Minecraft Launcher from the Programs and Apps list then click on it.
- Next, click Uninstall. This initiates the uninstallation and it should be done in a short while.
Let’s now look at how you reinstall the Minecraft Launcher.
- Head over to the official Minecraft website and Click Download. Note that you might be asked to log in using your Mojang account to access the Minecraft Launcher file.
- Open the msi file from the taskbar to run the installer. From there, just follow the easy instructions as displayed by the installer.
- Once completed, close Minecraft then launch the game again. Your launcher should now work.
The latest launcher often comes with a number of new and very useful features and you’re enjoy Minecraft even more after this.
4. Update your Java to the latest edition
If you’re still receiving this error, it could be that your current Java installation is causing the launcher troubles. Subsequently, to play the game, you need to download the latest Java version.
Just follow these steps to download Java on your Windows computer (The steps are similar even for Java 11 etc.) then retry.
- Minecraft Java players can still get Windows 10 for free
- Transfer your Minecraft account to another email with this guide