Most Windows phone users have the possibility to upgrade to Windows 10, but there are still users to which Microsoft has yet to offer this possibility. Lumia 520 users have been asking the tech giant to make Windows 10 available for their phones, but Microsoft’s answer remains the same: it’s working on it.
When Microsoft rolls out new apps or software updates, their role is to enhance the user experience. Therefore, they should be made available to all users so that everybody can benefit. Unfortunately, from time to time, Microsoft denies upgrades to some users due to technical constraints.
This is understandable to a certain extent: Microsoft’s fans are patient and willing to wait until their favorite company grants them the gift of an update. But what happens when Microsoft’s keeps on giving the same answer month after month? Users become disappointed, as are Lumia 520 owners right now. And their numbers is not to be ignored: the Lumia 520 is Microsoft’s best-selling smartphone with a 12.6% market share despite that fact that it was launched three years ago.
The Lumia 520 only has 512 RAM. This could explain why it cannot upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. This OS is greedier on system resources than previous versions, requiring 1GB of RAM to work properly. The problem is that Microsoft started shipping 1GB RAM entry-level phones only last year. However, this explanation is not completely satisfactory since the Lumia 635 with 512RAM is eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade.
So, what options does Microsoft have so far? Only two it seems:
- Admit that it can’t bring Windows 10 to all Lumia phones and offer phone upgrade deals to its users. For example, Lumia 520 owners can bring their beloved handset into its stores or other participating retailers and enjoy a discount on the Lumia 950 or other phone models.
- Offer a pared down experience on Windows 10, something that would mean developing a low-resource Windows 10 Mobile OS with fewer features.
Redmond has been quite elusive in its answers when it comes to making Windows 10 available to Lumia 520 and other 512 RAM handsets:
We’re working to make Windows 10 available to eligible Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8.1 as an upgrade. […] Like any upgrade to a new operating system, not every phone will support all possible Windows 10 features. Certain features and experiences will require more advanced future hardware.
The good news is that Microsoft confirmed that Windows 10 won’t be coming to certain Lumia phones such as the Lumia 1020 or Lumia 925 — at least things are clearer here.
If you are tired of waiting and you want to buy a new Windows 10 phone, you can consider purchasing one of the following phones: the Acer Liquid M330 for only $99 or the Lumia 640 XL for $199 from the Microsoft Store.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Unlocked Lumia 650 goes on sale at Cricket Wireless in the U.S.
- Microsoft could bring double tap to wake to Lumia 950
- You Now Need to Plug in Your Lumia 950, 950 XL, 550 When Getting Updates