- If AirPlay won't play sound on your TV, then the service will not be usable at full capacity.
- To solve this problem, you will have to check your network settings and also change sound output settings. For more details scroll down.
- Our Mac Fix Hub offers you other useful guides for both common and uncommon issues on Mac.
- For more practical and thorough Mac information, visit our extensive Mac page.
AirPlay is a feature that lets you share videos, photos, music, from your Apple devices to your Apple TV.
So AirPlay is a great way to experience multimedia wirelessly on your TV. However, some users reported that the feature won’t play sound on the TV.
This can be an inconvenient problem, but in today’s article, we’ll show you how to fix it once and for all.
What to do if AirPlay is not playing sound on TV?
1. Add Core Audio to the list of exceptions in your firewall
- Open System Preferences > Security/Security & Privacy.
- Navigate to the Firewall.
- Click the lock icon if available and enter your credentials.
- Now click on Firewall Options.
- Click the Add Application (+) button and select Core Audio.
- Click Add and OK.
Some users are suggesting to uncheck Block all incoming connections option in Firewall settings so you can try that as well.
Additionally, to prevent such inconveniences in the future, we suggest using a protection software that offers reliable services and that doesn’t impact your streaming experience.
Intego’s NetBarrier X9 is the perfect example of a bundle product designed for Mac. It offers both firewall and network protection.
According to the latest industry tests, the products is 100% reliable when it comes to detection rates, without slowing down or blocking other processes.
NetBarrier X9Don't let unreliable apps ruin your streaming experience. Use this powerful tool to protect your Mac.
2. Make sure that all AirPlay devices are using the 2.4GHz network
According to users, if AirPlay won’t play sound on your TV, the problem might be your wireless network.
Many users reported issues with 5GHz networks, and if you have a 5GHz router, it’s advised to connect both your MacBook or iOS device and the other AirPlay device to the 2.4GHz network.
3. Use the Terminal
- Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utility.
- Start the Terminal.
- When the Terminal starts, run the following command:
sudo killall coreaudiod
After the command is executed, check if the problem is still there. Bear in mind that this is just a workaround, so you might have to repeat this solution if you encounter the problem again.
4. Change the sound output settings
- Navigate to System Preferences > Sound.
- Open the Output tab and set Apple TV as the output device. Save changes.
After doing that, check if the problem with AirPlay is still there.
We hope the solutions mentioned in this article have helped you when AirPlay won’t play sound on your TV.
If you have tried other methods to fix the issue, you can share them with us in the comments.
FAQ: Learn more about using AirPlay with TV
- Why is there no sound when I screen mirror?
To have sound while you screen mirror, make sure to have the window that should play the media open when you turn on the mirroring service.
- Do you need Apple TV to use AirPlay?
No, you just need two AirPlay-compatible devices and a common WiFi network for both devices to connect to.
- What does screen mirroring mean?
Screen mirroring, as the name suggests, allows you to create a virtual ‘mirror’ of a screen from a smaller device to a bigger display, or vice versa.