- If your AppStore is not working on your MacBook it will stop you from properly using your laptop, but we have solutions in this guide.
- To fix the AppStore and make it run properly again, you will need to use the Terminal, start your laptop in Safe Mode, and reset the NVRAM.
- Check our Mac Troubleshooting Hub for more useful information on the best solutions for different issues.
- Consider bookmarking our useful Mac webpage for more comprehensive guides.
App Store is incredibly useful, but many users reported that the App Store is not working on their MacBook. This can be a problem since you won’t be able to download and install new apps, but there’s a way to fix this problem.
What can I do if the App Store is not working on Mac?
1. Use the Terminal
According to users, you can fix this problem simply by removing a couple of files. The easiest way to do that is to use the Terminal, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Go to Applications/Utility and start the Terminal.
- Now run the following commands:
- sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist
- sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.storeagent.plist
- If asked, enter your administrator password.
- Restart your MacBook.
If you’re using a tool such as Little Snitch, be sure to allow all connections to the AppStore and storeagent process.
2. Start your MacBook in Safe Mode
If the App Store is blank on your MacBook, you can fix the problem by entering the Safe Mode. By using the Safe Mode, you’ll clear the cache and hopefully fix this problem. To enter the Safe Mode, do the following:
- Restart your MacBook.
- Pres and hold the Shift key while your device boots.
- Hold Shift until you see the login screen.
- Enter your login credentials to access Safe Mode.
Once you enter Safe Mode, just restart your MacBook and check if the problem is still there.
3. Reset the NVRAM
- Shut down your MacBook and turn it back on.
- Hold the following keys: Option, Command, P, and R.
- You need to keep the keys pressed until:
- You hear the startup sound for the second time – applies to models without the T2 chip
- The Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time – applies on models with a T2 chip
After doing that, check if the problem is still there.
These solutions presented in this guide will surely help you if the App Store is blank or if it’s not working at all on your MacBook.
FAQ: Learn more about the Apple App Store
- What is the difference between the AppStore and the Apple store?
The AppStore is a piece of software that allows you to download applications, while the Apple Store enables you to buy physical items and products.
- Does Apple charge for all apps?
No, beyond all the paid apps, Apple also offers free-to-use apps. Some of them might offer in-app purchases.
- Does Apple charge for updates?
No, Apple does not charge for updates.