- Not being able to delete your iCloud backup will imply that you're not going to be able to free up space for new data.
- To fix this problem, you will need to make sure that you're trying to delete it properly, and also to wait for 48 hours.
- For more detailed guides on Mac, don't hesitate to bookmark our specialized Mac Fix Hub.
- If you want to see more useful information on this subject, visit our Mac page.
Sometimes it might be necessary for you to delete your iCloud backup, especially if it’s taking a lot of space. However, what can you do if you cannot delete iCloud backup? In this article, we’ll show you how to fix this problem once and for all.
What to do if you can’t delete an iCloud backup?
1. Make sure that you’re properly deleting the backup
In order to delete an iCloud backup, you need to follow certain instructions carefully. To delete a backup, follow these steps:
- On your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Now go to Apple ID > iCloud > Manage.
- Select Backups from the left pane.
- Choose the device whose backup you want to remove and click on Delete.
2. Wait for 48 hours
Few users reported that this is a temporary glitch and that you just have to wait for it to get fixed. Apparently, the iCloud Backup gets locked, and you’ll have to wait until it’s unlocked to delete it.
Users reported that they had to wait for 48 hours before deleting it, so you might want to try that.
3. Try deleting the iCloud backup from another device
If you cannot delete the iCloud backup, you might want to try deleting it from your iOS device. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > iCloud > Backup.
- Turn off iCloud Backup.
- Navigate to Settings > iCloud > Storage.
- Go to Manage Storage and select the device whose backup you can’t remove.
- Wait for the backup options to show.
- Delete the backup.
4. Contact Apple Support
If everything else fails, you can always contact Apple Support. Few users reported that their backup directories were corrupted on Apple servers, but after contacting Apple Support the issue was resolved.
According to users, Apple needs to release the storage space, and after that is done, the issue should be resolved.
These are some simple solutions that should help you if you cannot delete the iCloud backup.
FAQ: Learn more about iCloud backups
- How can I see my iCloud backups?
Click on the Apple logo from the top menu, open Settings, click on your username, then open the iCloud section, and click on the iCloud Storage option.
- Does iCloud store old backups?
iCloud does store old backups as long as the capacity of your drive is not full. If the storage is full, then the new backups will overwrite the old ones.
- Will I lose anything if I delete my iCloud backup?
No, deleting the backup from iCloud will not affect in any way the data stored on your device.