- Mic works in Discord but not in-game glitches can occur if you have incorrectly configured your default input device.
- Incompatible or outdated device drivers can also cause the sound device to malfunction.
- As a quick workaround, try connecting your USB microphone to a different USB port on your PC.
- You can also uninstall and reinstall the affected audio device from the device manager to fix mic works in Discord but not in CS Go.
Discord is a popular Voice over Internet Protocol tool that offers text, video and voice based communication. However, recently several users have reported the mic works on Discord but not in game issues.
This glitch seems to have affected almost all the games including the likes of PUBG, Fortnite, CS Go, Overwatch, Rainbow Six Siege, H1Z1, and more.
Usually this problem occurs if voice input configuration in the affected game is not done correctly. However, in some instances the glitch is also caused due to incompatible hardware and more.
In this article, we have listed a few troubleshooting steps to help you fix the mic works on Discord but not in game.
How do I fix the mic works on Discord but not in game?
1. Update audio device drivers
Incompatible or outdated audio device drivers can cause mic works on Discord but not in Fortnite issue. You can fix it easily by simply updating your audio driver.
While you can update your audio driver manually, automated driver update utilities can make this task easier. Using a driver update utility is recommended if you are not comfortable updating system drivers manually.
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
DriverFixKeep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC to a risk.
2. Configure recording device in Control Panel
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound.
- Next, click on the Sound option. This will open the Sound properties window.
- Open the Recording tab. Make sure your mic is connected to the PC.
- Check the default input device. The default input device will be tagged as Default Communications Device.
- To change the default communications device, right-click on your input device (Mic) and choose Set as Default Communications Device.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Once you have configured your input device, launch the affected game and check if the mic works on Discord but not in Overwatch.
Games like PUBG use the default communication device from your PC. If you are using a different input device for Discord, your game will not recognize the device.
Ensuring you have the right input device set as default communication device in Windows 10 will resolve the issue.
3. Run sound troubleshooter
- Click on Start and then choose Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Open the Troubleshoot tab from the left pane.
- Scroll down and click on Playing Audio.
- Click on Run the Troubleshooter button.
- After the scan, select the affected audio device and then click Next.
- Follow on-screen instructions and apply any recommended fixes.
Once the fixes are applied, close the troubleshooter and restart your PC. After the restart, relaunch the game and check for any improvements.
Uninstall and reinstall input device
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type devmgmt.msc and click OK to open Device Manager.
- In Device Manager, expand the Audio inputs and outputs section.
- Right-click on your microphone device from the list and select Uninstall Device.
- Confirm the action by clicking on Uninstall again.
- Once uninstalled, close Device Manager.
- Make sure your audio input device is connected to the computer and restart your PC.
- After restart, Windows will automatically detect the input device and reinstall the input device device drivers.
If the audio input device is not reinstalled automatically, scan for hardware changes in Device Manager.
- Open Device Manager.
- Click on Action and then choose Scan for hardware changes.
- Windows will scan for missing devices and reinstall required drivers.
Additionally, you may have to repeat steps in method 2 above to reconfigure your input device and set it as default.
4. Change Port
If you are using a USB microphone, try using a different USB port on your PC. Unplug your microphone and then connect it to any other empty USB port available. Reboot the computer and check for any improvements.
This also applies if you are using the audio jack. If you are using the front audio jack, remove the plug and connect it to the rear audio jack and check for any improvements.
5. Reset voice settings in Discord
- Launch Discord and click Settings beside the User Profile icon.
- In the User Settings window, open the Voice and Video tab.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset Voice Settings.
- Confirm the action by clicking on Okay when prompted.
- Once reset, you may require to reconfigure Discord voice settings including Push to Talk feature again.
Once configured, relaunch Discord. Open the affected game and check if the mic works in Discord but not in CS Go issue is resolved.
Mic works in Discord but not in game glitch can occur due to several reasons. To troubleshoot the problem, try updating your audio device driver, reconfigure default input device in Control Panel or reinstall the device.