- If your mic works in Discord but not in-game, you won't be able to communicate with your friends while playing.
- As a quick workaround, try connecting your USB microphone to a different USB port on your PC.
- Resetting the Discord voice settings might be an efficient solution if your mic is working in Discord, but not in-game.
- Because this issue can occur due to outdated drivers, we recommend updating these elements.
Discord is a popular Voice over Internet Protocol tool that offers text, video, and voice-based communication. However, recently several users have reported the mic works on Discord but not in-game issues.
This glitch seems to have affected almost all the games including the likes of PUBG, Fortnite, CS Go, Overwatch, Rainbow Six Siege, H1Z1, and more.
We understand how annoying this can be, especially if you’re used to chatting with your teammates while playing your favorite games. Fortunately, we’ve compiled a series of methods that will help to easily solve this issue.
Why is my mic working on Discord but not in-game?
Because it is important to be aware of why you can encounter this problem, you should read the following info.
Usually, this error occurs if the voice input configuration in the affected game is not done correctly. However, in some instances, the glitch is also caused due to incompatible hardware and more.
If your mic works on Discord but is not in-game, make sure you verify our presented solutions.
How do I fix the mic works on Discord but not in game?
1. Change port
If you are using a USB microphone, try using a different USB port on your PC. Unplug your microphone and then connect it to any other empty USB port available. Reboot the computer and check for any improvements.
This also applies if you are using the audio jack. If you are using the front audio jack, remove the plug and connect it to the rear audio jack and check for any improvements.
2. Update audio device drivers
- Hit the Windows key, type Device Manager, then open it.
- Expand the Audio inputs and outputs section, then right-click on your mic, and select Update driver.
- Choose to Search automatically for drivers.
- If there are any available drivers to update, you’ll be notified.
Incompatible or outdated audio device drivers can cause mic works on Discord but not in Fortnite issue. You can fix it easily by simply updating your audio driver.
While you can update your audio driver manually, automated driver update utilities can make this task easier. Using a driver update utility is recommended if you are not comfortable updating system drivers manually.
Therefore, it’s better to utilize software that is specialized in driver issues, such as updating drivers, finding missing ones, or repairing broken device drivers.
A suitable tool for this purpose is DriverFix due to its automated functionality and deep scanning tools. Thus, you will resolve your drivers’ problems and enjoy your favorite games on Discord.
3. Run the sound troubleshooter
- Use the following keyboard shortcut to open Windows Settings: Windows + I.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Open the Troubleshoot tab from the left pane.
- In the right window pane, scroll down, then click on Additional troubleshooters.
- Click on Playing Audio, then choose to Run the Troubleshooter.
- After the scan, select the affected audio device and then click Next.
- Follow on-screen instructions and apply any recommended fixes.
Once the fixes are applied, close the troubleshooter and restart your PC. After the restart, relaunch the game and check for any improvements.
4. Reset voice settings in Discord
- Use the following keyboard shortcut: Windows + S.
- Type Discord, then open the first result.
- Navigate to Settings (marked as a gear in the bottom of the page).
- In the User Settings window, open the Voice & Video tab.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset Voice Settings.
- Confirm the action by clicking on Okay when prompted.
- Once reset, you may require to reconfigure Discord voice settings including Push to Talk feature again.
5. Configure the recording device in Control Panel
- Hit again the Windows key, type Control Panel, then open it.
- In the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound.
- Next, click on the Sound option. This will open the Sound properties window.
- Open the Recording tab. Make sure your mic is connected to the PC.
- Check the default input device. The default input device will be tagged as Default Communications Device.
- To change the default communications device, right-click on your input device (Mic) and choose Set as Default Communications Device.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Once you have configured your input device, launch the affected game and check if the mic works on Discord but not in Overwatch.
Games like PUBG use the default communication device from your PC. If you are using a different input device for Discord, your game will not recognize the device.
Ensuring you have the right input device set as the default communication device in Windows 10 will resolve the issue.
6. Uninstall and reinstall the input device
- Hit the Windows key, type Device Manager, then open it.
- Expand the Audio inputs and outputs section, then right-click on your microphone device, and select Uninstall Device.
- Confirm the action by clicking on Uninstall again.
- Once uninstalled, close Device Manager.
- Make sure your audio input device is connected to the computer and restart your PC.
- After restart, Windows will automatically detect the input device and reinstall the input device device drivers.
If the audio input device is not reinstalled automatically, scan for hardware changes in Device Manager.
- Hit the Windows key, type Device Manager, then open the first result.
- Click on Action and then choose Scan for hardware changes.
- Windows will scan for missing devices and reinstall required drivers.
Additionally, you may have to repeat steps in method 2 above to reconfigure your input device and set it as default.
Once configured, relaunch Discord. Open the affected game and check if the mic works in Discord but not in CS Go issue is resolved.
What other mic problems can I encounter in Discord?
Of course, our presented issue is not the only one that might occur in Discord. If you want to be prepared for any Discord microphone problem, we suggest taking a look at the information below:
- Discord mic cutting out – It seems like you can experience this one both on a private call or a public voice channel on this app. If Discord audio keeps cutting out, make sure you check some useful solutions.
- Device not working at all – Although the development team behind Discord is always on the watch for any issues that may come up, some users reported that Discord mic is not working at all on Windows 10. If this happens to you, do not hesitate to verify how to fix it.
In addition, keep in mind that sometimes Corsair Void Pro mic is not working with Discord. In case you’re using this headset and you’re in the same boat, check what can you do to solve it.
These are the best solutions you can try if your mic works on Discord, but is not in-game. At least one of these should solve your problem.
However, if nothing worked, you can always submit a request on the Discord official support page.
For any additional questions, feel free to use the comment section below.