FIX: Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds
The Windows Insider program is a great way of previewing and testing new features in Windows 10 before they make it to the final version. It’s also a great way of contributing to Microsofts efforts to make Windows 10 bug-free.
But there is a compromise to be made when using Windows 10 Insider Preview build – they do contain bugs. One bug has frustrated a lot of Windows Insiders and that is the “Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds” error when trying to download newer Insider builds.
Below I’ll list a couple of fixes that have worked for the majority on Windows Insider users who faced this problem in the past.
What to do if Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds?
Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds message can prevent you from downloading the latest builds, but there are some other issues that can appear as well. Here are some similar problems that users reported:
- Windows 10 some of your accounts require attention – This message can appear if you’re not using a Microsoft account, but you can fix that simply by converting a local account to the Microsoft account.
- Your diagnostic and usage data settings require attention to get insider preview builds – This is a variation of this error message, but you should be able to fix it by using the solutions from this article.
Solution 1 – Use a Microsoft Account
Even though Windows Insider builds can be installed and used without a Microsoft account, one is required for automatically updating to newer build through Windows Update.
If you’re not using a Microsoft Account, you can easily convert your local account to Microsoft account by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When the Settings app opens, navigate to the Accounts section.
- You should now see your account. Click the Sign in with a Microsoft account instead option.
- Now enter your email and password. If you’re using two-step verification you’ll be asked to enter your security code, so do that as well.
After doing that, your account will be converted to the Microsoft account and you should be able to receive new Insider builds.
- READ ALSO: Fix: ‘Microsoft Account Service is Unavailable at the Moment, try Again Later’ Windows Phone Error
Solution 2 – Re-enter your Microsoft account
If you’re getting Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds message on your PC, you might be able to fix the problem simply by converting your Microsoft account to the local account. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app and go to the Accounts section.
- Select Sign in with a local account instead.
- Enter your current password and click Next.
- Now enter the desired user name and password that you want to use and click Next.
- Now click Sign out and finish.
After doing that, your Microsoft account will be converted to the local account. Now you just have to convert your local account back to the Microsoft account and the issue should be resolved.
Solution 3 – Rejoin the Insider program
This error is usually related to your Microsoft account, or lack of it in some conditions. Some users have been able to fix this error by rejoining the Insider program.
Head over to insider.windows.com and click on the Get Started button. Provide your Microsoft account details if it doesn’t log you in automatically. When you see the “Welcome to the program, Insider“ screen you can close your browser. Now reboot your machine and check if the error has disappeared.
Several users reported that they fixed the problem simply by logging in to the insider.windows.com and accepting the license agreement. After doing that, users were able to get the latest Insider builds.
Solution 4 – Remove all trusted devices
Sometimes Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds message can appear if there’s an issue with trusted devices. To fix this problem, you just have to remove the trusted devices for your account. To do so, just follow these steps:
- Visit account.live.com.
- Go to the Devices section and remove all trusted devices.
After doing that, check if the problem is still there. This issue is usually caused by a temporary glitch, but you should be able to solve it with this solution.
Solution 5 – Create a new account and convert it to Microsoft account
If Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds message keeps appearing, you might be able to fix the problem simply by creating a new user account and upgrading that account to the Microsoft account.
Before we start, be sure that you don’t have any Microsoft accounts on your PC. If you’re using a Microsoft account, convert it to the local account. After doing that, you need to create a new user account by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app and go to the Accounts section.
- Choose Family & other people from the menu on the left. Click Add someone else to this PC button.
- Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now choose Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired username and click Next.
After doing that, you’ll have a new local account ready. Now just convert it to Microsoft account and the problem with Insiders build should be resolved.
Solution 6 – Modify your registry
Sometimes the only way to fix Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds message is to modify your registry. Modifying the registry can be potentially dangerous, so we advise you to use extra caution and follow our instructions carefully. To modify the registry, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and type regedit. Click OK or press Enter to proceed.
- In the left pane, navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsSelfHostApplicability key.
- In the right pane, locate the EnablePreviewBuilds value, double-click it and set it to 1. If this value isn’t available, be sure to create it and change it accordingly.
After making these changes to your registry, you should be able to receive Insider builds once again without any problems.
Some users are also suggesting to edit the contents of the FlightingOwnerGUID value. You can locate this value in the same location that we mentioned in Step 2. After you find it, double-click it, and remove all entries from its Value Data field. Now click OK to save changes.
After doing that, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 7 – Delete the multiple version of the same PC
Sometimes you might have multiple PCs assigned to your Microsoft account and that can lead to Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds message. However, you can easily fix this problem by removing additional PCs from the list.
To fix this problem, simply go to your MS account web page and check if you have multiple PC entries. Users reported 4 different PCs on the list, each with a different version of the Insider build. After removing all older entries from the list, the issue was resolved and everything started working again.
Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds error can cause many issues, but we hope that you solved this problem after using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- How to Install Windows 10 Without a Microsoft account
- FIX: Keyboard Freezes as Soon as I Sign-in my Microsoft Account
- “You need to fix your Microsoft account” message on Windows 10 [Fix]
Firefox has announced that it will start to warn users if they visit any breached sites. This is in an attempt to not only make […]
Oh dear. It’s been a pretty bad month for Microsoft concerning its Windows 10 October 1809 Update release. Microsoft eventually released the update a couple […]
Yesterday, Microsoft released Visual Studio 15.9. With it came the announcement that “developers now have the officially supported SDK and tools for creating 64-bit ARM […]