Users have reported that the MSN Weather app doesn’t work anymore in Windows 10. So, we’re going to offer you a couple of solutions, and we hope that at least one of them will help you.
What to do if MSN Weather App Doesn’t Work
Solution 1 – Rename Configuration File
Apparently something went wrong with applying the latest update for the Weather app, and that error negatively affected configuration file of MSN Weather, which is necessary for running this app.
To fix this flaw, we’re going to need to rename configuration file, and Weather app will probably work fine again. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
Close your Weather app and restart the computer
- Open File Explorer
- Go to the following directory:
(put your username, instead of YourUser)
- Find the file called configuration_188.8.131.526.sqlite
- Rename that file to configuration_184.108.40.2068.sqlite
- Once you’ve renamed the file, close File Explorer
- And now, the MSN Weather App should work
Solution 2 – Reinstall MSN Weather app
Most people reported that renaming the configuration file solved the problem for them, but if you’re still unable run MSN Weather app, you can try to uninstall it, and then install the updated version from the Store again.
To uninstall it, you’ll have to run a PowerShell command, and here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Go to Search, type powershell, and open PowerShell as administrator
- Enter the following command and press Enter:
- And wait for the process to finish (if you want to know how to uninstall other Windows built-in features, check out this article)
Now, just head to the Windows Store, search for the MSN Weather, and install it again. This way, you’ll install the latest version of the app, so you don’t have to update it.
For now, we can only recommend you these two solutions, as Microsoft still didn’t come up with a fix, which started a real fuss on Microsoft Answer pages, but maybe the company will release it in the future.
So, if you’re still unable to run MSN Weather app, even after performing these solutions, maybe you should just wait for the fix.
Update: the problem has been solved by previous updates, but if you still have issues with MSN Weather app, you can try the more general solution below.
Solution 3 – Reset your system
The problem might appear because some system files are corrupted.
- On the login screen, hold Shift, right click on “Power”, then select Restart.
- Select Troubleshoot, “Reset this PC” and “Keep my files” option.
That would reinstall Windows 10 and will keep your files. Also, it will remove changes, apps and drivers you or your PC manufacturer had installed.
- How to enable MSN Weather’s Dark Theme
- FIX: Windows 10 Weather app not working
- 14 best weather apps to use on Windows 10 in 2019
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in October 2015 and was revamped and updated in April 2019 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.