Cortana is definitely one of the most useful features of Windows 10, but various problems with this handy virtual assistant could occasionally occur. This time, we’re going to show you what to do if you can’t hear any sound from Cortana in Windows 10.
How to Fix No Sound From Cortana Problem in Windows 10
Solution 1 – Disable Digital Output
The most common solution for sound problems with Cortana is disabling the digital output in your sound settings. This is problem usually occurs when you have two playback devices enabled on your computer, and one conflicts with Cortana. This doesn’t have to be the case, but in sometimes the second output device just blocks Cortana. So, here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Right-click on the sound icon in the right side of your taskbar and go to Playback devices
- Disable the Digital output that you’re not using
- Restart your computer
Most people reported that this workaround actually solved their sound problems with Cortana, but if you still can’t hear anything from your virtual assistant, maybe you can try one of the solutions below.
Solution 2 – Reset Cortana
Maybe resetting Cortana to its default settings can solve the problem. Here’s what you need to do to completely reset Cortana in Windows 10:
- Open Cortana and go to Settings
- The first button allows you to disable Cortana, so just disable Cortana with that button. It says: “Turning off Cortana clears what Cortana knows on this device, but won’t delete anything from the Notebook. After Cortana is off, you can decide what you’d like to do with anything still stored in the cloud”.
- Restart your computer and enable Cortana again
This will make Cortana completely forget about all your settings, so it would act like you just installed Windows, so maybe the solution for sound problem with Cortana lays in this method. Of course, if you’re in the region which is not supported by Cortana, you’ll have to change your regional and language settings, in order to make it active.
Since this is a sound problem, maybe something else from your system prevents Cortana from playing sound, so you should check our article about other sound problems in Windows 10, and maybe you’ll find the solution (if none of the above worked, of course).
That would be all, if you have any other Windows 10-related issues, you can look for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.