- Users are now flagging some issues with NordVPN, which apparently won't work on Windows 11.
- It seems that the security software is unable to connect to NordLynx, which impedes it from functioning on the new OS.
- Since this issue is not generalized for all users, this could be a local problem.
We all already know that there are considerable amounts of software that couldn’t make the transition to Windows 11 yet, due to compatibility issues.
But what do we do when the software in question is actually important, such as NordVPN?
Apparently, some of our readers received the Failed to reach NordLynx adapter error message in NordVPN when they tried connecting to a server.
In this article, we will show you how to fix NordVPN if it’s not connecting to a server or not working in Windows 11.
But first, let’s see what are the reasons for this problem and try to understand the issue.
- Private Internet Access - Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
- NordVPN - Secure multiple devices and enjoy stable connections anywhere.
- SurfShark - Price convenient VPN service with all-rounded security features.
- CyberGhost - Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
- ExpressVPN - Browse the web from multiple devices with increased security protocols.
What are the reasons why NordVPN is not working in Windows 11?
The problem is that NordVPN can’t connect to the NordLynx adapter and that is a VPN protocol that helps improve the connection to a server.
It actually makes the connection faster and that’s why it’s an important component.
If you have recently upgraded to Windows 11 don’t worry because in this guide we provide the solutions to fix NordVPN in this OS.
However, you can still go through our list including the best VPNs that will surely work on Windows 11, and choose the right one for your needs.
How can I fix NordVPN issues on Windows 11?
1. Run the app in Compatibility mode
- Press the Windows key + E to start a File Explorer window and navigate to the NordVPN installation folder. You should find it in the Program Files folder.
- Right-click on the executable file and select Properties from the menu.
- Now, move to the Compatibility tab, check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode and select Windows 7 from the list.
- Click on Apply, then OK and see if the app works fine now.
Some of our readers reported that running NordVPN in Compatibility mode fixed the problem for them so you should definitely try it.
However, this solution doesn’t work for all users and if you’re one of them, move to the next.
2. Change the VPN settings
- Click on the gear icon found in the top right corner of the NordVPN app.
- Select the Auto Connect option from the left side menu.
- Disable the Choose a VPN protocol and server automatically setting.
- Click the toogle and choose the OpenVPN (TCP) protocol.
As you can see, it is extremely easy to change this option, and it fixes the NordVPN problem on Windows 11, so make sure to perform this procedure as fast as possible.
3. Reinstall the tunnel drivers
- Click the Search icon from the taskbar, type device manager, and open the app from the results.
- Expand the Network adapters section, right-click NordVPN Tunneling, and select Uninstall device.
- Close the window, click the Search icon again, type control panel and select the app from the results.
- Now, click on the Uninstall a program option.
- Look for NordVPN Network TUN, right click it and select Uninstall.
- After uninstalling the program, restart your PC.
- Download the latest NordVPN TUN drivers and install them.
If the step was not too detailed, you may check our guide on how to update your drivers on Windows 11 for more information.
This will be also useful for the next step when you will need to uninstall and reinstall NordVPN.
4. Reinstall NordVPN
- Click the Search icon, type control panel, and select the app from the results.
- Choose the Uninstall a program option.
- Find NordVPN in the list of apps, right click on it and select Uninstall.
- After finishing the uninstallation, close the window, press the Windows key + R to start Run, type regedit and press Enter or click OK.
- Click on the Edit tab and select Find.
- Type NordVPN in the Seach tab and click on Find Next, then delete all the keys associated with the VPN.
- Restart your PC and install a fresh copy of NordVPN.
If you don’t feel confident about manually removing the keys from the Registry, it’s a lot safer to use a dedicated tool like Restoro.
It will do the job a lot faster and it will make sure that there are no leftovers after uninstalling NordVPN.
So there finally is a way that we can get NordVPN to function on the new OS. It’s a bit of a tricky process, but nothing out of the ordinary, even by Microsoft standards.
This solution is the quickest way to access the NordLynx protocol, and it spares you the trouble of having to re-image Windows again.
What other VPNs work on Windows 11?
Rest assured that there are alternatives to this security software if you just can’t get it to function on Windows 11.
If you are planning to switch to other VPN software that works on Windows 11, without any know issues, you might want to choose between:
There are, more than likely, other VPN providers that can still offer their services, even on the new developers build of Windows 11, but these are the most popular and sought-after.
Remember that, as we mentioned above, NordVPN still works for some users, so you can also go ahead and give that a try.
If you find yourself in the category of users that can’t run NordVPN, feel free to choose from the other available VPN providers.
Have you installed your dev Windows 11 build? If so, what VPN works for you on the new OS? Let us know in the comments section below.