Due to the fact it’s a solution by Microsoft, OneDrive tends to be the most used cloud solution for Office users. However, some OneDrive users reported a certain error that says that The file is open by another program and can’t be synced. This is a major issue and we’ll show you how to fix it with the steps below.
The file is open by another program and can’t be synced on OneDrive
1. Close other applications
- In order to reduce the chance that the file is opened in any other program, we suggest closing all applications running in the background.
- To do so, just right-click on the Taskbar and open Task Manager.
- Once there, kill the processes that might be related to the file at hand. Also, stop the OneDrive and open it again.
- In the Startup tab, disable all applications that start with the system and reboot your PC.
2. Unlink and link OneDrive account again
- Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the notification area and open Settings.
- Select the Account tab.
- Unlink OneDrive and close the application.
- Select the Account tab again.
- Select the location of the OneDrive folder.
- Sign in with your credentials and you should be good to go.
3. Reinstall OneDrive
- In the Windows Search, type Add and open Add or remove programs.
- Under the Apps & features, search for OneDrive.
- Highlight the app and Uninstall it.
- Now, follow this path:
- C:\Users\:Your Username:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update
- After the installation completes, log in and look for changes.
4. Try the web-based version
Finally, you can navigate to the web-based OneDrive client and try accessing files there. You can also delete the file that’s allegedly open by another program and upload it again there. This usually fixes issues with file corruption.
And, while we are there, we suggest using UR Browser to access your online content. Web browsers are usually the hunting ground for trackers and you are game they are after. However, with this privacy-oriented browser, you don’t have to worry about it. It comes with a built-in VPN and a simple interface. Not to mention it’s made by the EU privacy regulations.
Check out UR Browser today and see for yourself.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- OneDrive doesn’t show picture thumbnails? Here’s what to do
- Slow OneDrive upload in Windows 10? Here’s how you can fix it
- I can’t download OneDrive files on my PC