Microsoft Outlook is the first choice for many enterprises and home users for a reason. With the seamless integration with other Microsoft tools, this email client is a rather valuable solution. However, some users run into the Outlook error. The error fully says that in Outlook, The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.
This error prevents users from accessing their user profile locally and we made sure to provide you with some solutions below.
How to fix The name cannot be resolved Outlook error
1. Run Mail Setup via Control Panel
Firstly, some Windows Server users suggest that all you need to do is to run the Mail Setup wizard once again in order to retrieve your profile. The procedure is rather simple and it goes as follows:
- Open Control Panel.
- Select User Accounts.
- Choose Mail to launch Mail Setup.
- Once the Mail Setup Wizard launches, select the Show User Profiles.
- Select your profile and check the Always use this profile box.
- Click Add and name your profile.
- Add your credentials and click Next.
- After this, you shouldn’t have The name cannot be resolved Outlook issues anymore.
2. Delete and re-establish your Outlook profile
Others recommend deleting your local configuration files and restarting Outlook. In some cases, the local files get corrupted and with this. That should allow Outlook to re-create the user profile from a scratch.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Open Outlook and delete your User Profile.
- Navigate to these two folders and delete their contents:
- Restart Outlook and try signing in with your credentials again.
This should address The name cannot be resolved error in Outlook. If not, continue to the last step below.
3. Uncheck the Hide from Exchange address list box
Alternatively, try unchecking the Hide from Exchange address list box in Microsoft Exchange under the profile that troubles you. These are the steps you should follow:
- Log into Microsoft Exchange.
- Right-click on the User Profile with issues and open Advanced.
- Uncheck the Hide from Exchange address list box and confirm changes.
- Try using Outlook again.
With those steps you should be able to fix the Name cannot be resolved error in Outlook. In case you have alternative solutions, please do share them below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT: