- The name cannot be resolved Outlook error can be caused by a few faulty profile settings.
- Troubleshooting Outlook's The name cannot be resolved issue implies resetting your profile.
- The solutions in this guide should also work when getting The name cannot be resolved in Outlook while adding a mailbox.
- And if you keep getting annoying Outlook errors, perhaps you should consider a different client.
Microsoft Outlook is the first choice for many enterprises and home users for a reason. With the seamless integration with other Microsoft tools, this email client is a rather valuable solution.
However, some users run into the following Outlook error: The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.
This error prevents users from accessing their user profile locally and we provide you with some solutions below.
How do I fix The name cannot be resolved Outlook error?
1. Run Mail Setup via Control Panel
- Open Control Panel.
- Select User Accounts.
- Choose Mail to launch Mail Setup.
- Once the Mail Setup Wizard launches, select the Show User Profiles.
- Select your profile and check the Always use this profile box.
- Click Add and name your profile.
- Add your credentials and click Next.
- After this, you shouldn’t have The name cannot be resolved Outlook issues anymore.
2. Delete and reset your Outlook profile
- Open Outlook and delete your User Profile.
- Navigate to these two folders and delete their contents:
- Restart Outlook and try signing in with your credentials again.
This should address The name cannot be resolved error in Outlook. If not, continue to the last step below.
3. Uncheck the Hide from Exchange address list box
- Log into Microsoft Exchange.
- Right-click on the User Profile with issues and open Advanced.
- Uncheck the Hide from Exchange address list box and confirm changes.
- Try using Outlook again.
If after running all these steps, Outlook still won’t work properly, perhaps you want to try an alternative email client. After all, Outlook isn’t the only business email client out there.
On this note, we recommend taking a look at Mailbird. The tool is extremely versatile in terms of integrations, themes, and features.
You’ll be able to add something to your productivity goals by managing your emails, tasks and calendar with it, given the numerous features it brings compared to Outlook. Not to mention that you can sync all your personal emails to it, too.
When Outlook fails you, take advantage of the unified dashboard for all your personal or business correspondence this user-friendly email client offers.
With those steps, you should be able to fix the mentioned Outlook error. In case you have alternative solutions, please do share them below, in the comments section.