- Path of Exile is a free multiplayer role-playing game that has gained a lot of popularity. However, being an online-only game means that it's subject to certain issues like high ping or packet loss.
- Usually, packet loss is a type of issue that gets solved by itself. However, sometimes you might need to give it a nudge in the right direction. We'll teach you all about it.
- Check out the best VPNs for Path of Exile that can improve ping.
- Visit our Gaming Hub to discover more guides, reviews, and tips & tricks.
Path of Exile is a free multiplayer role-playing game that has gained a lot of popularity. Players all around the world argue that it’s better than Diablo III. Others even dare to say that PoE is what Diablo III was supposed to be.
Either way, it’s a breath of fresh air, especially since it embraced the F2P culture quite tightly. Yes, PoE has some micro-transactions, but most of them are cosmetics.
However, that’s not why we gathered here. As you probably know, there’s no way to play Path of Exile offline. Therefore, you can imagine that this awesome game faces the same challenges as any other similar service.
Although most of the time these problems arise as a consequence of network congestion, sometimes they might have something to do with underlying issues on your end. More so, you might even be able to fix them.
Why is Path of Exile lagging?
Packet loss in Path of Exile can and will trigger nasty lag spikes. But what exactly is this issue you keep hearing about? Packet loss, or packet leak, is the inability of data packets to reach their destination.
Whether it’s packets you send to the server or ones that you receive from the server, it’s the same end-game. If packets leak, you’ll experience high latency, rubberbanding, freezes, crashes, or even connection timeouts.
None of these are ideal with Path of Exile, considering that you can lose experience points if you die.
However inconvenient it might be, packet loss can happen for various reasons. For instance, you might have bad cables, unproperly configured hardware, or ISP issues.
Most of the time, packet loss occurs because of network congestion. Given that PoE is free-to-play, its servers are more often than not heavily populated. In this case, your safest bet would be changing the server or waiting it out.
Path of Exile packet loss: how to fix it?
1. Use a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access and install it on your PC
- Launch it and log into it using your credentials
- Connect to the server of your choice
- Launch Path of Exile
- Check if you still leak packets
Private Internet Access is an excellent all-round VPN service from Kape Technologies. Not only it can help you bypass packet loss with just about any service, but you can also use it to circumvent geo-restrictions, secure your connection, improve your privacy, and eliminate ISP throttling.
Private Internet Access
Experiencing packet loss in Path of Exile? PIA can help you fix it.
It’s worth mentioning that using a VPN won’t work if the packet loss occurs on your side. The same applies to packets lost by the Path of Exile server you connect to. Using a VPN will only work if the packet loss occurs on your ISP’s side (intermediary).
2. Troubleshoot your connection
- Use our guide to help you run a complete packet loss test
- Identify the location of the packet leak (the hop number)
- Take the necessary measures to minimize the packet loss
We’ve mentioned in our guide that packet loss can occur in the following locations:
- Your PC/home network/router
- Your ISP’s network
- The servers of the network distribution company (above ISP)
- The destination server
Thus, depending on the location of the packet loss, you can take one of the following actions:
- Perform a thorough check of your PC, cables, router, and home line
- Call your ISP to fix the issue
- Ask your ISP to talk to the distribution company
- Contact the support team in charge of the server you’re having problems with
Packet loss is not a lost cause
If you’re experiencing packet loss, don’t despair. Most of the time this issue fixes itself without any assistance. However, if the problem is recurrent, you might want to try using some of the fixes we’ve mentioned above.
We can’t stress this enough, but using a VPN doesn’t automatically care take of everything. Do your research thoroughly before investing in such a service. Although VPNs can help you in many other ways, fixing packet loss only works in certain cases.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to improve your gameplay and eliminate lags from your session, here are the best VPNs for Path of Exile.
Yes, sometimes VPN can take care of packet loss issues. However, you should know that it only works if the leak occurs on your ISP’s side.
Yes, using a VPN can improve your gameplay and eliminate high latency. Check out our best VPNs that reduce high ping.