Photoshop allows you to print your work directly from the application. Sometimes, the print function in Photoshop may not work properly. The full Photoshop error reads There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents.
Is there a problem with Photoshop opening your printer? Solve it today by resetting Printer Preferences. By resetting the printer preferences to default values, Photoshop should be able to access the printer again. Alternatively, you can change the default printer or apply the Registry fix. Finally, make sure that the printer driver is up-to-date.
Follow the detailed instructions below to fix the error at hand.
Photoshop won’t print? Learn how to fix it here
1. Reset Printer Preferences
This error can occur due to the corrupted configuration settings for Photoshop‘s print function. You can resolve this issue by resetting the print preferences for photoshop. Here is how to do it:
- Quit Photoshop if running.
- Relaunch Photoshop and open the file that you want to print.
- Click on the File menu and go to Print. Don’t click on Print, simply hover the mouse over the Print option.
- Now press and hold the Spacebar key for a few seconds.
- This should reset the Printer Preferences for Photoshop. Upon a successful reset, you will see a print settings dialogue box.
- Proceed with printing the document and check if the error is resolved.
2. Change the Default Printer to fix the Photoshop error opening printer
Users have reported that changing their default printer in the printer settings to something else and changing back it to the default printer has fixed the issue. This should work if there is a glitch with the Adobe’s print function. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Photoshop and open the document you want to print.
- Press “Ctrl + P” to open the Print dialogue box.
- In the Print settings, click on the Printer option and select a different printer from the list. Click on Done / OK to save the changes.
- Quit and relaunch Photoshop.
- Open Print settings and change your work printer as default printer. Click OK/Done to save the changes.
If that does not work, in Windows, go to Start > Settings > Devices > Printer and Scanner
Change the default printer to something else. Make sure to set your work printer as default again in Photoshop Print option and check for any improvements.
3. Registry Fix for the Photoshop error opening printer
- Press Windows + R to open Run
- Type Regedit and hit enter.
- In the Registry Editor, go to the following location
- Right-click on 16.0 folder and select “New > DWORD (32-bit) Value”.
- Rename the new value as OverridePhysicalMemoryMB.
- Double-click on OverridePhysicalMemoryMB.
- In the new dialogue box, select “Decimal” under the Base section.
- For Value Data, enter a numeric megabyte value according to your system’s physical memory (RAM). If you have 4GB memory, enter 4000 and for 8GB enter 8000.
- Click OK to save the changes.
4. Update the Printer Driver
Try to update the driver from the Device Manager and check if that resolves the error.
- Type Device Manager in the search bar and click on Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, scroll down to Print Queues and expand it.
- Right-click on the problematic printer and select “Update Driver“.
- Choose ” Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
- Windows will now look for any new updates and install it automatically.
- Restart the PC, launch Photoshop and set the printer as the default in Printer options.
If the issue persists, try to download and install the Driver Manually. You can download the latest driver from your printer manufacturer’s website. That should fix the Photoshop error opening printer for good.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE:
- 7 best image resizer tools for Windows PC users
- 6 best software to vectorize images in 2019
- 5 best HDR software for Windows 10 to capture HQ images