“The pipe state is invalid” error [Fix]
System errors such as ERROR_BAD_PIPE aren’t that common, but they can still occur on almost any PC. Speaking of which, you can easily recognize this error because it comes with The pipe state is invalid error message. This error can cause some problems, and today we’re going to show you how to fix it on Windows 10.
How to fix ‘The pipe state is invalid’ error?
Fix – ERROR_BAD_PIPE
Solution 1 – Restart the PC
If you’re experiencing this error, one of the fastest solutions is to restart your PC. According to users, restarting your PC will temporarily fix this problem, so if you’re seeing this message once in a while, be sure to try this solution.
If this error is a constant problem on your PC, you should definitely try some other solution from this article.
Solution 2 – Uninstall problematic applications
This error is usually caused by third-party applications, and to fix it you need to find and remove the problematic applications. Few users reported that Adobe applications were causing this problem on their PCs, so you can try removing them.
Keep in mind that any other application can also cause this problem to appear. The problem can be caused by recently installed or updated applications, so you might want to try removing them. To remove a problematic application, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Once the Settings app opens, go to Apps & features. List of all installed applications will appear. Select the problematic application and click on Uninstall.
If you don’t want to use the Settings app, you can remove applications by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- Programs and Features window will now appear. Select the problematic applications and double click them to remove them.
Solution 3 – Enter Safe Mode
Safe Mode is a special part of Windows that runs with default applications and drivers. As a result, Safe Mode is perfect for troubleshooting so you can use it to fix many problems. To enter Safe Mode, you need to do the following:
- Open Start Menu and click the Power button.
- Press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and choose Restart from the menu.
- List of options will now appear. Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings. Click the Restart button.
- Once your PC restarts you’ll see a list of options. Select any version of Safe Mode by pressing the appropriate key.
When Safe Mode starts, check if the problem appears. If not, it’s possible that the issue is caused by third-party software or a bad driver.
Solution 4 – Perform Clean boot
If you suspect that The pipe state is invalid message is caused by third-party applications, you might want to try performing a Clean boot. Third-party applications and services can start automatically in the background with Windows, but sometimes these services can cause this and other problems to appear. To find the problematic application or service, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Press Enter or click OK.
- Go to Services tab. Check Hide all Microsoft services checkbox and click on Disable all.
- Navigate to Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- List of startup applications will appear. Right click each application on the list and choose Disable from the menu. After disabling all startup applications, close Task Manager.
- Go back to System Configuration window and click Apply and OK.
- After doing that, restart your PC or log off and log back in to your Windows 10 account.
Once you log back in again, check if the problem still persists. If not, it means that one of your startup applications or services is causing this problem. To find out which service or app is the problem, you need to repeat these steps and enable disabled services and applications one by one or in groups. Keep in mind that you’ll have to restart your PC or log in to your Windows 10 account to apply the changes.
Once you find the problematic application, you need to remove it or update it to the latest version and check if that solves the problem.
Solution 5 – Check your PC for malware
In some cases The pipe state is invalid error can appear due to malware infection. If you suspect your PC is infected by malware, we urge you to perform a full scan. To be sure that all malware is removed, it might be a good idea to try using two different malware removal tools.
If you find any malware on your PC, remove it and check if that fixes the problem.
Solution 6 – Perform System Restore
If you’re having this error on your PC, you might be able to fix it easily by performing System Restore. This feature allows you to easily restore your PC to an earlier state after big changes, so it might be useful in solving this problem. To use System Restore, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Choose Create a restore point from the menu.
- System Properties window will now appear. Click on System Restore button.
- When System Restore window opens, click on Next. Check Show more restore points option and choose the desired restore point. Click Next to proceed.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
After restoring your system, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 7 – Create a new user account
In some cases this problem can occur due to corrupted user profile. If that’s the case, you can fix the problem by creating a new user account. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and go to Accounts section.
- Go to Family & other people section in the left pane. In the right pane, click on Add someone else to this PC button.
- Click on I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now choose Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired user name and click Next.
After creating a new user account, switch to it and check if the problem still persists. If not, you’ll have to transfer your personal files to the new account and use it as your main account.
ERROR_BAD_PIPE and The pipe state is invalid aren’t serious errors, and they won’t cause too much trouble on your PC. These errors are relatively simple to fix, and you can fix them by using one of our solutions.
- Fix: Windows 10 iCloud Calendar not syncing with Outlook
- How to fix ‘E: is not accessible, access denied’ error message
- How to fix ‘Server not Found’ error in Firefox browser
- “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” error [FIX]
- “Access is denied” Windows 10 error [Fix]
Counter Strike: Global Offensive is currently the most popular first person shooter on PC, but it seems that some Windows 10 users are having certain […]
Live streaming is quickly becoming one of the most important ways people use to broadcast themselves online. People use live streaming to cover a wide […]