- Some users have reported a Power BI an error has occurred while trying to access the service from the web client.
- First, clear the browser cache because this could easily resolve the issue with the Power BI service.
- If you're new to Power BI, it could be a great idea to visit our dedicated Power BI tutorials and guides section.
- For news, support and tutorials head over to our Power BI hub. This is where you also find a lot of fixes for any Power BI issues.
However, some users have reported a Power BI an error has occurred issue while trying to access the service from the web client.
This is a common issue and can occur due to several reasons including corrupt browser cache and more as reported in the Power BI community forums.
When I open https://app.powerbi.com/ I have the following error:
A problem has occurred.
Try again later.
An unknown error has occurred. If this error persists, provide the following information when requesting assistance.
Date and Time: 2018-05-08 01: 24: 13Z
Activity ID: 7fca0722-72d2-44d9-8c36-63b713dbad8a
If you are also troubled by the similar Power BI an error has occurred issue, here is how to troubleshoot the issue with minimal effort.
How can I fix Power BI an error has occurred message?
1. Clear Browser Cache
Begin with clearing the browser cache to resolve the issue with the Power BI service.
For Google Chrome
- Launch the browser and click on the Menu.
- Click on Settings.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Scroll down to the Privacy and Security section.
- Click on Clear browsing data.
- Select the Time Range and then select the Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files options.
- Click the Clear data button.
- Close and relaunch the Chrome browser. Try to access the Power BI Service and check if the error is resolved.
2. Check VPN Software
- If you are using VPN on your desktop, check if it is connected when the Power BI error occurs.
- At times, Power BI service may refuse to connect to the service due to a sudden change of the region of the user.
- Disable the VPN client and try to access the Power BI service and check if the error is resolved.
- You may need to clear the browsing data and cookies again after disabling the VPN to access the Power BI Service.
3. Other Solutions to Try
- Try to access the Power BI service using Incognito Mode in your browser. If the error does not occur in the Incognito Mode, it could be one of the plugins that are creating the issue.
- Launch Chrome (or the browser you use), click on the Menu > Extensions. Try to disable the most recently installed extension. Relaunch the browser and check if the error is resolved. If the issue persists, try disabling other extensions one by one until the issue is resolved.
- Some users have reported that the Power BI error occurred issue resolved automatically after a day. So, check if the issue is temporary or at the Power BI end by contacting the support.
Alternatively, you can try using a different browser such as UR Browser.
This browser uses the same engine as Chrome, but it’s not affiliated with Google in any way, so it won’t send your data to Google.
In addition, this browser has powerful tracking and privacy protection.
If you need additional security, you’ll be pleased to know that there’s a built-in VPN available as well as malware and phishing protection.
By following the steps in this article you should be able to fix Power BI an error has occurred issue with your Power BI service. Do let us know what you did to fix the error in the comments below.
FAQ: Read more about Power BI errors
- How do I fix Power BI error?
Clear cache in your browser and check the VPN software if you’re using one. Check our expert guide to fix the Power BI error.
- How do I remove a query error in power bi?
Load the data in Query Editor and note the rows that contain the error values. Remove the errors, then close & apply for the changes to take effect.
- How do I connection issues in Power BI?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.