- Some users have reported a Power BI an error has occurred while trying to access the service from the web client.
- First, clear the browser cache because this could easily resolve the issue with the Power BI service.
- If you're new to Power BI, it could be a great idea to visit our dedicated Power BI tutorials and guides section.
- For news, support and tutorials head over to our Power BI hub. This is where you also find a lot of fixes for any Power BI issues.
The Power BI service can be accessed from both the web app as well as the Power BI desktop client.
However, some users have reported a Power BI error has occurred issue while trying to access the service from the web client.
This is a common issue and can occur due to several reasons including corrupt browser cache and more as reported in the Power BI community forums.
When I open https://app.powerbi.com/ I have the following error:
A problem has occurred.
Try again later.
An unknown error has occurred. If this error persists, provide the following information when requesting assistance.
Date and Time: 2018-05-08 01: 24: 13Z
Activity ID: 7fca0722-72d2-44d9-8c36-63b713dbad8a
If you are also troubled by a similar Power BI error that has occurred issue, here is how to troubleshoot the issue with minimal effort.
How can I fix Power BI an error has occurred message?
1. Clear Browser Cache
Begin with clearing the browser cache to resolve the issue with the Power BI service.
For Google Chrome
- Launch the browser and click on the Menu.
- Click on Settings.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Scroll down to the Privacy and Security section.
- Click on Clear browsing data.
- Select the Time Range and then select the Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files options.
- Click the Clear data button.
- Close and relaunch the Chrome browser. Try to access the Power BI Service and check if the error is resolved.
2. Check VPN Software
- If you are using VPN on your desktop, check if it is connected when the Power BI error occurs.
- At times, Power BI service may refuse to connect to the service due to a sudden change of the region of the user.
- Disable the VPN client and try to access the Power BI service and check if the error is resolved.
- You may need to clear the browsing data and cookies again after disabling the VPN to access the Power BI Service.
3. Other Solutions to Try
- Try to access the Power BI service using Incognito Mode in your browser. If the error does not occur in the Incognito Mode, it could be one of the plugins that are creating the issue.
- Launch Chrome (or the browser you use), click on the Menu > Extensions. Try to disable the most recently installed extension. Relaunch the browser and check if the error is resolved. If the issue persists, try disabling other extensions one by one until the issue is resolved.
- Some users have reported that the Power BI error occurred issue resolved automatically after a day. So, check if the issue is temporary or at the Power BI end by contacting the support.
Alternatively, you can try using a different browser such as Opera Browser.
If you need additional security, you’ll be pleased to know that there’s a built-in VPN available as well as phishing protection.
It’s a considerably lighter package than Chrome and using add-ons like the VPN and built-in ad-blocker results in a faster and more responsive internet experience.
Furthermore, using a VPN in tandem with decent antivirus software is only the beginning of a safe web experience.
Opera also offers data savings through compression technology that is not found in other browsers.
Opera is fairly comparable to Chrome, and you can use the majority of Chrome extensions with Opera, even transfer login credentials and bookmarks. It has good memory management, allowing you to open a large number of tabs without experiencing memory saturation or lag.
By following the steps in this article you should be able to fix Power BI an error has occurred issue with your Power BI service. Do let us know what you did to fix the error in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Clear cache in your browser and check the VPN software if you’re using one. Check our expert guide to fix the Power BI error.
Load the data in Query Editor and note the rows that contain the error values. Remove the errors, then close & apply for the changes to take effect.
If you have a connection error in Power BI, remove the report and publish it again. It’s just one of the connection issues you can solve with our complete guide for Power BI connection errors.