Error 0x00000709 is a printer error that numerous users have posted about on the Microsoft support forum. Affected users can’t configure their printers to be the default ones when that error arises.
One user’s forum post stated.
I cannot set any printer as default printer. An error message appears, error 0X00000709. That error message states, “Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709).”
Fix this by following the steps below.
How do I fix printer error 709?
1. Run the Printer Troubleshooter
- Windows 10’s Printer troubleshooter might (or may not) come in handy for fixing error 0X00000709. To run that troubleshooter, press the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter ‘troubleshooter’ in the search box, and click Troubleshoot settings to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Select the Printer troubleshooter, and then click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Thereafter, the Printer troubleshooter window will open. Select the printer to fix, and click the Next button.
- Then go through the troubleshooter’s suggested resolutions.
2. Turn Off the Allow Windows to Manage my Default Printer Option
- If the Printer troubleshooter doesn’t fix 0X00000709, try turning off the Allow Windows to manage my default printer setting. Open Settings by pressing its Windows key + I hotkey.
- Click Devices in Settings.
- Next, click Printers & scanners on the left of the window.
- Deselect the Allow Windows to manage my default printer option.
3. Edit the Registry
- Editing the Device string within the Registry Editor is among the most widely confirmed fixes for error 0x00000709. Users can open the Registry Editor by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey, entering ‘regedit’ in Run, and clicking OK.
- Next, open to this registry path:
- Click the Windows key on the left of the Registry Editor.
- Double-click the Device string to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Next, edit the value data by erasing everything in that box before ‘,winspool,Ne00:,’ but do not delete the ‘,winspool,Ne00:’ part.
- Enter the required printer name (to set as default) before ‘,winspoolt,Ne00,’ and then click the OK button.
- A “cannot edit device” dialog box might appear for some users. If so, right-click the Windows key that includes the Device string and select Permissions.
- Select the Allow Full Control checkbox shown directly below.
- Press the Apply button.
- Select the OK option.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT: