The Ink cartridges cannot be recognized error is not an entirely unusual error message for Epson printer users. That error message can pop up for users when they insert new compatible or genuine ink cartridges in their Epson printers. The error can also arise for older cartridges when they run out of ink. Users can’t print anything when an Epson printer doesn’t recognize a cartridge.
First, double-check that new cartridges are the right ones for your printer. Check that one of the printer models listed on the cartridge packaging matches your printer model. If the cartridges are the right ones for the printer, check out the resolutions below.
Why does my printer not recognize my ink cartridge?
1. Insert the Print Ink Cartridges One at a Time
If you’re installing more than one new cartridge, try installing the cartridges one at a time instead. It might be the case that the error arises for just one of the cartridges, and installing them each separately will help identify what one that is. Furthermore, inserting new cartridges one at a time can even fix the issue on more recent Epson printer models.
2. Open the Printer Troubleshooter
- Windows 10’s Printer troubleshooter might come in handy for resolving the “Ink cartridges cannot be recognized” error. Users can run that troubleshooter by pressing the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter ‘troubleshooter’ as the keyword in the search box.
- Then click Troubleshoot settings to open the Settings tab shown below.
- Select Printer and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Then select the printer model to troubleshoot, click Next, and go through the suggested resolutions.
3. Reset the Printer and Reinsert the Ink Cartridge
- The “Ink cartridges cannot be recognized” error arises when cartridges aren’t fully clicked in, so reinserting the cartridges can resolve the issue. First, turn on the printer and remove the ink cartridges.
- Thereafter, turn the printer off and unplug it for a few minutes to reset it.
- Plug the printer back in, and turn it on.
- Thereafter, check the ink cartridge installation guidelines within the printer’s manual. Insert the cartridges within the printer exactly as outlined in the manual and make sure they’re fully clicked in.
4. Clean the Cartridge Chips
The “Ink cartridges cannot be recognized” error can also be due to dirty cartridge chips. So, remove the cartridge that isn’t recognized and place it on a flat surface. Then wipe down the metal contact chip on the cartridge with a dry cloth to clean it. Thereafter, install the cartridge again.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- Here’s how to quickly fix 0x97 error on Epson printers
- Windows don’t have a network profile for this device Epson printers [FIX]
- How to Reset Waste Ink Pad Counter for Epson printers [QUICK GUIDE]