- Getting a PUP on your device can be really frustrating so you will need a Potentially Unwanted Program removal tool.
- In this article, we will explain how to delete Potentially Unwanted Programs for Windows PC.
- The best on our list of tools to remove PUPs is Bitdefender, a top-class security solution.
- ZemanaAntiMalware Portable and Malwarebytes can also help you get rid of any PUP on your PC.
Today, we will be showing you the top 6 Potentially Unwanted Program removal tools for Windows PC. You may be wondering what is Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)?
So, we will start by defining PUP. A Potentially Unwanted Program is software that gets on your system while installing another program. This normally occurs when you are installing freeware on your PC.
The installation prompts request that you install additional bundled components such as toolbars, programs, adware, etc on your PC.
However, these unwanted programs are bundled on many freeware installers available on the WWW. Hence, you need to beware of optional installs as it may be budding PUPs.
Some download sites such as Softonic, CNET are common spots where Potentially Unwanted Programs can be found.
In order to avoid labeling downloadable programs as malware, McAfee Antivirus labeled these unwanted programs as Potentially Unwanted Program.
Meanwhile, these PUPs damage your PC by replicating its process activity; some Windows users reported that PUPs increases on their PC most especially once they are connected to the Internet.
These programs can wreck the PC even more than viruses; for instance, a web browser that has more than ten PUP toolbars will definitely be slow, impede performance, and even constantly crash.
Common Symptoms of PC infected with Potentially Unwanted Program
The following are characteristics exhibited in a PC infected with PUP:
- Pop-up ads indicate infected PC
- Random web pages which keep on opening new tabs
- Advertising banners injected into all web pages that you visit
- Browser pop-ups which recommend fake updates
- Unapproved programs installed without your knowledge
- Your browser homepage is changed without your knowledge
In addition, you can detect PUP by accessing the list of programs on your PC and then locate programs that you are not familiar with, most especially programs with the term toolbar, adware, or even funny names programs.
Examples of known Potentially Unwanted Programs are listed in the table below:
|Adlyrics||Network System Driver|
|BuzzSearch||Perion Network Ltd.|
|CloudScout Parental Control||Qvo6|
|Coupon Printer for Win||Rocketfuel Installer|
|Dealio||Save Daily Deals|
|Desktop Temperature Monitor||Savepath Deals|
|IAC Search & Media||SS8|
|JfileManager 7||Visicom Media Inc.|
|Level Quality Watcher||Wajam|
|Mindspark Interactive||WebCake Deals & Ad’s|
|Moshe Caspi||Word Proser|
However, in order to get rid of this problem, Windows Report team has compiled a list of top 5 Potentially Unwanted Program removal tool for you. You can use any of these tools to remove all Potentially Unwanted Program on your Windows PC.
- Control Panel
- IObit Uninstaller
- Hitman Pro
- ZemanaAntiMalware Portable
What are the best Potentially Unwanted Program removal tools?
Bitdefender is the no.1 antivirus solution on the market so it’s undoubtedly the best solution that can protect you from Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP).
You won’t need to worry about their removal as Bitdefender will block them even before they even reach your PC. However, you could have a PUP already installed on your PC without you knowing.
The first scan with Bitdefencer will reveal the culprits in an event and you will be able to get rid of it with a single click.
Of course, Bitdefender, as a top security solution will protect you from every single possible threat, not only PUPs but also malware, ransomware, phishing and all other modern scamming techniques.
BitdefenderAs a top security solution for years in a row, Bitdefender will remove any PUPs and further protect your PC from them.
You can also use ZemanaAntiMalware Portable to scan your PC for installed PUPs. ZemanaAntiMalware is a free utility program that scans and removes malicious programs from your PC. Follow these steps to download and install ZemanaAntiMalware on your Windows PC:
- Download ZemanaAntiMalware.
- Double-click on the executable file AntiMalware.Portable.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Launch the ZemanaAntiMalware afterward, click on the Scan option to run a system scan.
- After scanning, from the list of PUPs detected, click on the Next button to remove all the PUPs.
- Follow the next prompts to completely remove the Potentially Unwanted Programs on your PC.
Another Potentially Unwanted Program removal tool you can use is Malwarebytes. Unlike HitmanPro, Malwarebytes is a free utility that will scan your computer for Potentially Unwanted Programs.
Some types of malware can be difficult to identify and remove. That’s not something to worry about when using Malwarebytes. Its efficiency is proven against viruses, spyware, ransomware, and not only.
Here’s how to download, install, and use Malwarebytes on your Windows PC:
- Download Malwarebytes.
- Install the program.
- Right-click on the Malwarebytes.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Click the Scan button.
- Once finished click on the Clean button.
- Next click OK to reboot your PC and complete cleaning.
In addition, this program also doubles as anti-keylogger and it is compatible with any AV suite.
MalwarebytesGet Malwarebytes for advanced malware protection and easily remove all unwanted programs from your device.
- Go to Start–Control Panel>Programs and Features
- In the Programs and Features window, locate and uninstall any unwanted programs.
Alternatively, you can click on the Installed On column to sort your program by the installation date. Hence, scroll through the list, identify the most recently installed programs and uninstall any unknown programs.
However, if you are unable to successfully uninstall the unwanted program(s) in Control Panel, you can advance to the next method.
- Download IObit Uninstaller program, and install it afterward.
- Launch the IObit Uninstaller application.
- Select the unwanted programs, and choose – automatically remove residual files.
4. Click on the Uninstall option to proceed with the uninstall process.
IObit Uninstaller is a Windows PUP removal tool. This utility program is ideal for removing stubborn software applications such as bundled applications and cleans up all its traces afterward.
In addition, you consider using any of our ten best alternative uninstaller programs to completely uninstall the PUPs.
- Download HitmanPro by clicking on the link below.
- After downloading HitmanPro, double-click on the hitmanpro executable file to install the program.
- Follow the installation prompts to complete the install.
- After installation, launch the program and click on the Next button to commence the scan process.
- Now, after scanning, from the list of PUPs detected, click on the Next button to remove all the PUPs.
- Click on the Activate free license button for free 30 days trial.
HitmanPro is a security tool that scans your Windows PC and removes PUPs from your system. HitmanPro is not a standalone antivirus program itself, but you can use it alongside your antivirus program.
After using any of the tools we mentioned above, your PC should now be free of all PUPs. However, we do recommend that you reset your web browser to its default settings.
This will completely remove all the PUPs leftovers on your web browser. In addition, we recommend that you run a full system scan on your Windows PC.
If you are still facing the PUP issues afterward (which is most unlikely), let us know by commenting below.
Frequently Asked Questions
They are programs that you may not want on your device and they do use system resources but are not considered to be malicious or dangerous.
There are several easy ways to do that by using the removal tools that we are offering details about in this article.
You can have a look at all the programs that are installed on your device or you can check our list with the best unwanted programs removal tools.