- An increasing number of antivirus programs are compatible with Windows 10 nowadays.
- We're listing the best options - you just need to take some time to test which one is best for you.
- We recommend that you bookmark our Windows 10 Tips section to stay up to date with the latest news on this topic.
- We also got the best selection of news, recommendations, and dedicated guidelines in our Antivirus separate section.
In Windows 10, Windows Defender and the Firewall tool are themselves good enough to keep your system safe, but some just feel more secure while using some renowned third-party antivirus software.
At the time Windows 10 was launched, some programs were not compatible with Windows 10. A lot has changed since then, and now more such programs run on Windows 10.
So we prepared a list of all notable antivirus programs available now on the market, that are compatible with Windows 10.
In most cases, older systems are also supported, so check them out.
What antivirus programs are compatible with Windows 10?
Bitdefender needs no introduction – it is one of the best antivirus software in the world, protecting hundreds of millions of users worldwide.
The tool can detect and neutralize even the newest cyber threats anywhere in as little as 3 seconds.
Bitdefender delivers continuous, powerful real-time protection against any sophisticated threats, including both malware and ransomware, plus a multitude of other features that keep your online activity at bay from possible attacks.
Here are some of Bitdefender’s features:
- Light on your systems
- Multi-layered protection
- Safe online banking
- Game, movie and work modes
- Very reliable - Bitdefender solutions are installed on over 500 million systems worldwide.
- Doesn't interfere with your system or programs.
- Lots of useful features.
- Too sophisticated for some.
BitdefenderProtect your PC with Bitdefender to benefit from 24/7 security and the most impressive features you can get in an antivirus.
BullGuard is among the top Internet security suites due to its notable features. The top scores in various tests in the industry have shown how far above the average this antivirus is in all the areas that matter most to Internet security.
So this tool is arguably the total online security solution for you, your family, and your home network.
Some of its most impressive features below:
- Antimalware, antispyware, anti-phishing features, plus email and instant messaging protection.
- Safe browsing and antispam, online backup, and parental control.
- Automatic scanning of removable media and social networking protection as well.
- Gaming mode.
- Full-featured protection.
- Very nice and user-friendly user interface.
- Easy to install and administrate.
- 30-day money-back guaranteed policy.
- A bit heavier on your system than some other antivirus.
BullGuardUse BullGuard to benefit from all the next-gen features that keep the excellent performance of your operating system.
VIPRE Advanced Security is a top-rated antivirus solution that protects your private information and personal data against cyber threats, including those that manage to trick traditional antivirus.
With VIPRE Advanced Security you can safely browse the Internet knowing that this tool has your back.
The company also offers dedicated enterprise antivirus solutions to manage protection for businesses of all sizes.
Most notable features of VIPRE:
- Advanced Active Protection – machine learning technology protection
- Cloud-enabled Security
- Anti-threat and ransomware protection
- Doesn’t interfere with your system
- Very light on your system.
- Machine learning technology used for detecting and blocking threats.
- Free, U.S. based customer support.
- Simple and straightforward UI.
- Not too many features are available.
VIPRE Antivirus PlusVIPRE offers a very good balance between the level of protection and price while remaining light on your system.
Malwarebytes is a top preference since, in its basic version, the program comes for free, yet with certain limitations.
The software uses four independent security modules—anti-malware, anti-ransomware, anti-exploit, and malicious website protection — offering you full protection against both known and unknown threats.
You can download Malwarebytes for free and enjoy free full real-time protection for 14 days. If you decide not to upgrade, the tool reverts to a limited yet free version that will only disinfect your computer after a cyber attack.
Here are some of Malwarebytes top features:
- Command-line interface.
- Quarantined files and log storage.
- Remote or local remediation
- Top-quality detection techniques
- Free 14 days full real-time protection.
- Detects and blocks ransomware via behavioral monitoring technology
- More than 8 million threats detected or blocked by Malwarebytes every day.
- Can be considered expensive.
This security tool relies on the largest threat-detection network to identify malware and machine-learning algorithms. Password management and home network security features are also available.
Here are some of the best features of Avast Antivirus:
- Machine-learning virus protection.
- Easy to install and use
- Do Not Disturb Mode for gaming and movie sessions
- Wi-Fi Inspector for detecting possible network hacks.
- Large range of features.
- Easy to manage the home network security.
- Easy to install.
- Offers a free trial period.
- Has minimum system requirements.
Installing a powerful and reliable antivirus software on your Windows 10 is extremely important. Malware, ransomware, Trojans, and other cyber threats are lurking in the dark, waiting to infect your computer.
Stay one step ahead of all these threats by installing one of the antivirus solutions listed above.
Which antivirus or security software you prefer to use? Is it Microsoft’s built-in Windows Defender, or some star third-party software? Tell us in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about protecting your Windows 10
- Do I still need antivirus software with Windows 10?
Windows 10 comes with a built-in antivirus software; however, for more powerful features and protection, the recommendation is that you choose one of the third-party available options.
- Is Windows 10 antivirus good enough?
Up to a certain point, Windows Defender is a good enough program. To get the best protection, though, you might want to make a change.
- Is it worth paying for antivirus?
You know, you can get a bunch of antivirus programs fully free and still benefit from a lot of features.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.