- If you want to remove ads from uTorrent, this guide will give you all the information you need.
- To resolve this problem you will want to modify some important settings.
- For more detailed and easy-to-follow guides, check out our extensive How-To Hub.
- To find more fixes and solutions to a variety of problems, consider bookmarking our thorough uTorrent section.
Torrenting is a type of peer-to-peer file sharing based on the BitTorrent protocol. It enables the distribution of media content with torrent files users can download from websites. Alas, torrenting has become ridden with copyright legal disputes in recent years.
Such disputes have led to the blocking of torrent websites in various countries, but you can still download torrents from blocked sources with VPN software installed.
To open torrented files, you’ll need BitTorrent client software. The uTorrent software is among the best BitTorrent client packages. There’s a freeware uTorrent version that includes ads. There’s also an ad-free version of uTorrent that’s retailing at $4.95 per year.
However, there is a way to remove the ads from the freeware uTorrent. And this is what we will explore in today’s guide.
How can I remove ads from uTorrent?
1. Download and Install uTorrent
- Open the Windows page for uTorrent in a browser. Mac users can open a Mac page for uTorrent.
- Click Download uTorrent Web to save the setup wizard.
- Open uTorrent’s Install Wizard, and click the Next buttons.
- Click the Agree button.
- Select the Decline options to turn down additional software offers.
- Select the Create Desktop icons and Start menu checkboxes to set up some shortcuts for uTorrent.
- Press the Next button.
- Additional configuration options will open. Select the Add an exception for uTorrent in Windows Firewall option.
- Select all the File Types checkboxes.
- Press the Next button to install.
- Thereafter, click the Finish button.
2. Adjust uTorrent’s flag settings
- Open the uTorrent window shown directly below.
- Click the Options menu.
- Select Preferences to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Click Advanced to open a list of flag options for uTorrent.
- Next, you’ll need to find each of the following flags by entering them separately in the Filter search box:
offers.left_rail_offer_enabled offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled gui.show_plus_upsell bt.enable_pulse gui.show_notorrents_node offers.content_offer_autoexec
- Select the False options for each of the above flag settings.
- Select the Apply option.
- Click the OK button to exit the Preferences window.
- Click the X button at the top right of the uTorrent window to close it.
- Right-click the system tray icon for uTorrent and select Exit.
- Click the Yes button to confirm.
- Thereafter, restart the uTorrent software. Now uTorrent will not include any ads.
So, you don’t need to upgrade to the $4.95 uTorrent version to remove its ads. However, that version also comes with premium support and streamlined torrenting you don’t get in the freeware alternative.
To upgrade to the ad-free version, click Options > Get uTorrent in uTorrent; and select the Upgrade to Ad-free option.
Let us know if you found this guide helpful by using the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best alternative to uTorrent is by far Deluge. It provides you with a simple yet efficient software option that has no ads and runs perfectly without any prior setup.
To speed up your uTorrent, close any applications that might use your network, find torrent files that have enough seeders available, and remove ads from uTorrent.
To disable uTorrent starting when you turn on your computer, disable the software entry from the Startup preferences settings in Task Manager.